Diving in Ontario for the Newbie! Tips, Advice, Experienced Buddies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snip... snip...
Lens was a Tokina 10 - 17 (likely on 10m). This was on Dec 31, 2012, so it was a bit chilly... Low 40's likely. We were in for an hour +...

You must've been pretty close. Do you remember how far away you were to get that kind of wide shot?

You must've been pretty close. Do you remember how far away you were to get that kind of wide shot?

Oh I was probably a good 20' from the stern rail. Again, this was Dec. 31, so the water was chilly and very clear...

The pic on the right below was taken at the same time and perhaps gives a better idea of the vis...

We dove at the Forest City today and had visibility of easily 80' - 90' at depth (155') That's the third pic. I'm probably 40' from my buddy at least... and in about 156' of water. The vis in many places can be amazing in the Great Lakes. We dove three weekends in November and December on the Tiller Wreck in Lake Ontario last fall. Once weekend, I calculated (not guessed) the visibility to be about 140'... "gin clear" as the saying goes..

FC.jpgTugs clear.jpg

Toby is pretty awesome...Just throw Stu's name around. LOL

Just be prepared for the consequences if you do... bar brawls, furious Fathers, restraining orders...

Incidentally, Divers Den was purchase this spring by Mike Marcotte and Kelly McAdam. Mike is the store's head Instructor (and also owns Wetrock Studios, a local art gallery.) Mike and Kelly are good friends of mine (we went to Belize together in March.) and good folks... Larry is still running a boat for them, and you might find Lyn in the shop on occasion.

Ha if you were there in the morning I was probable there with you. I saw strobes a flashing down at the stern and a lucky guy with his scooter buzzing around. I went down as far as the boilers and got some neat footage of them and the stern rail. Could see it clear as day from there, vis was freaking spectacular.
Saw the Forest City, Niagara II, Arabia, King, and the Wexmore.

Oh I was probably a good 20' from the stern rail. Again, this was Dec. 31, so the water was chilly and very clear...

The pic on the right below was taken at the same time and perhaps gives a better idea of the vis...

We dove at the Forest City today and had visibility of easily 80' - 90' at depth (155') That's the third pic. I'm probably 40' from my buddy at least... and in about 156' of water. The vis in many places can be amazing in the Great Lakes. We dove three weekends in November and December on the Tiller Wreck in Lake Ontario last fall. Once weekend, I calculated (not guessed) the visibility to be about 140'... "gin clear" as the saying goes..

View attachment 187607View attachment 187608

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

Possible_Stoo_Sighting.jpg

Ha if you were there in the morning I was probable there with you. I saw strobes a flashing down at the stern and a lucky guy with his scooter buzzing around.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

Possible_Stoo_Sighting.jpg

LOL.. no that wasn't me... but I know who it was! I have my own boat, and rarely dive a wreck if there's a charter there... this guy and I have very similar photographic "styles" if you will. He often posts images that bear a striking resemblance to ones I've taken. There's only so many ways you can photograph a wreck...

You will rarely see more than one person in my images... I'm kinda spoiled that way...

You're one lucky dude, and really like your pics btw

LOL.. no that wasn't me... but I know who it was! I have my own boat, and rarely dive a wreck if there's a charter there... this guy and I have very similar photographic "styles" if you will. He often posts images that bear a striking resemblance to ones I've taken. There's only so many ways you can photograph a wreck...

You will rarely see more than one person in my images... I'm kinda spoiled that way...

You're one lucky dude, and really like your pics btw

I don't know about lucky, but fortunate. I knew I loved the place the first time I visited, when I was 17. I bought a fixer-upper with a couple of friends when I was still in my 20s, for the princely sum of $8,000 each! I've long since bought out the other guys, but that initial investment was worth every penny.

Oh, and thanks. I enjoy taking them! :wink:

Keep up the good work!

I don't know about lucky, but fortunate. I knew I loved the place the first time I visited, when I was 17. I bought a fixer-upper with a couple of friends when I was still in my 20s, for the princely sum of $8,000 each! I've long since bought out the other guys, but that initial investment was worth every penny.

Oh, and thanks. I enjoy taking them! :wink:

Shawn, the fella taking pictures on that dive was probably George kowalchuk. He does stellar work. If u were on Facebook, you could see some of it heheheehh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom