Diving in Ontario for the Newbie! Tips, Advice, Experienced Buddies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikfield quarry an hour from toronto

Wiarton itself has alot of good diving with a few small wrecks, all in 20ft deep or less. Off the park dock there is an old horse buggy and the remains of an old dock. on the other side of town, if you don't mind a bit of a hike, there is a decent wreck near the McNeil's Mansion staircase. Like others said, there's Cedar Hill which is good. As well, if you find the right person to go with, that has a boat, there's an underwater forest. The waters still a bit chilly though. I was just in this past weekend and it was only 51deg.

There are 3 locations in the Welland canal that are frequented by locals

[video=youtube;Pvz7uwZSPAE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvz7uwZSPAE[/video]
This is the main one

[video=youtube;s5zFr7zrKaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5zFr7zrKaM[/video]

The swing bridge section.

[video=youtube;5h7vYUA9k2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h7vYUA9k2k[/video]

The Ontario street section

The Niagara River has three sections also in the Fort Erie area suitable for beginners

[video=youtube;UvK71db2Iy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvK71db2Iy8[/video]

International train bridge

Frechmans Creek

And the Barge

[video=youtube;ceMZ8vD0NYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceMZ8vD0NYM[/video]

Sherkston is great in spring and fall, stay away now...Green Algae takes over in summer months

Windmill is a lot of fun, with many items to see within 30 feet

BTW Dans in St Catharines has Wednesday night dives at all these places during the summer season, all welcome all skill levels.

Last edited:
I feel so famous, that's my Niagara river drift vid from a few years ago :)

Would really like to do that one again, lots of fish on that dive.

There are 3 locations in the Welland canal that are frequented by locals

The Niagara River has three sections also in the Fort Erie area suitable for beginners

[video=youtube;UvK71db2Iy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvK71db2Iy8[/video]

International train bridge

Windmill is a lot of fun, with many items to see within 30 feet

BTW Dans in St Catharines has Wednesday night dives at all these places during the summer season, all welcome all skill levels.

Was a good video....I dove it 10 or so times. I lived in Fort Erie for 10 years...Really shows the current there

Welcome Pawlu! Lots of good info here for you, although I'm not sure I share everyone's enthusiasm for some of the sites. I've never really seen the appeal in someone's garbage as a dive feature (unless it's been there 100 years or so!), but I digress... Any dive that builds confidence and skills is a good one! I live three minutes up the road from Gulliver's and was there last week!

In the Niagara area, you might want to contact Dan's Dive Shop in St. Kits. They have an active group that dives that area on a regular basis. "Scuba Diving Courses in Ontario, Canada| Scuba Snorkeling Equipment | PADI Scuba Classes NAUI SDI TDI Courses | Technical Diving Courses NAUI, PADI, TDI | Scuba Repair & Hydrostatic Testing". Matt, Kristin, Dan or Chris could give you info about the Scuba Park and river dives.

And just to clarify a couple of things about Tobermory (my second home), parking downtown in an issue in the summer, but there are several free, unlimited parking areas within a five minute walk of the dock. Most divers, when out on a charter, dump their gear at the boat, then run the cars up to the municipal lot. When you walk back, take the shortcut past the Sweet Shop for you surface interval treat! sweetshoptobermory

And you do have to pay a registration fee, as you would at any National Park. This fee helps to defer some of the costs of moorings, emergency services and the like. This year, both G+S and Diver's Den are able to sell you a day pass at the shops, but you're better off to get the seasonal one if you can. The Visitor's Centre is worth the visit, especially on your first trip to the area.

There are a number of excellent novice dives around town, that don't require a boat... "The Tugs" area is a nice little multi-wreck dive, and if you stay in the immediate area, you'll have a hard time getting below 40'.

The Lighthouse has easy access and drops to about 75' or so, although the most interesting areas are shallowest. Across the bay from the Lighthouse is "The Anchor". Access is from "The Gap" at the end of Highway 6... I would call this more an intermediate/advanced dive as it requires good navigation skills and much of the dive is in 60' +.

Just out of town is Little Cove (Locally: Dave's Bay). This is a nice sheltered bay, typically with great vis and depths down to 100' plus if you go out far enough. All of these shore dives require a dive flag to be flown and towed.

The shops typically run an novice trip and an advanced trip each day... There are lots of excellent shallower boat dives... Best to talk to them directly.

As far as accommodaton goes, check out some of the lesser known places... Little Cove Adventures has little cabins Little Cove Adventures - Tobermory (Zsolt the Owner, is also the staff Instructor at G+S), Peacock Villas etc... But yes, book well ahead... or take a couple of days mid week. G+S and Divers Den both have discounted rates on charters mid week, and rooms are less too!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions... although Perry at G+S, and Kelly at Diver's Den will be happy to help you!

G+S Watersports Ltd.
Divers Den Tobermory`s Diving Center
Parks Canada - Fathom Five National Marine Park

When you have a bunch of dives under your belts, you can head out to some of our sweet wrecks. Here's a shot of the Arabia I took last weekend... Visibility was about 100'. :)

Arabia Shirky.jpg

And one of the Alice G... one of "The Tugs" (with Zsolt from Little Cove diving, and Mike from Diver's Den!)

Alice G.jpg

Welcome Pawlu! Lots of good info here for you, although I'm not sure I share everyone's enthusiasm for some of the sites. I've never really seen the appeal in someone's garbage as a dive feature (unless it's been there 100 years or so!), but I digress... Any dive that builds confidence and skills is a good one! I live three minutes up the road from Gulliver's and was there last week!

In the Niagara area, you might want to contact Dan's Dive Shop in St. Kits. They have an active group that dives that area on a regular basis. "Scuba Diving Courses in Ontario, Canada| Scuba Snorkeling Equipment | PADI Scuba Classes NAUI SDI TDI Courses | Technical Diving Courses NAUI, PADI, TDI | Scuba Repair & Hydrostatic Testing". Matt, Kristin, Dan or Chris could give you info about the Scuba Park and river dives.

And just to clarify a couple of things about Tobermory (my second home), parking downtown in an issue in the summer, but there are several free, unlimited parking areas within a five minute walk of the dock. Most divers, when out on a charter, dump their gear at the boat, then run the cars up to the municipal lot. When you walk back, take the shortcut past the Sweet Shop for you surface interval treat! sweetshoptobermory

And you do have to pay a registration fee, as you would at any National Park. This fee helps to defer some of the costs of moorings, emergency services and the like. This year, both G+S and Diver's Den are able to sell you a day pass at the shops, but you're better off to get the seasonal one if you can. The Visitor's Centre is worth the visit, especially on your first trip to the area.

There are a number of excellent novice dives around town, that don't require a boat... "The Tugs" area is a nice little multi-wreck dive, and if you stay in the immediate area, you'll have a hard time getting below 40'.

The Lighthouse has easy access and drops to about 75' or so, although the most interesting areas are shallowest. Across the bay from the Lighthouse is "The Anchor". Access is from "The Gap" at the end of Highway 6... I would call this more an intermediate/advanced dive as it requires good navigation skills and much of the dive is in 60' +.

Just out of town is Little Cove (Locally: Dave's Bay). This is a nice sheltered bay, typically with great vis and depths down to 100' plus if you go out far enough. All of these shore dives require a dive flag to be flown and towed.

As far as accommodaton goes, check out some of the lesser known places... Little Cove Adventures has little cabins Little Cove Adventures - Tobermory (Zsolt the Owner, is also the staff Instructor at G+S), Peacock Villas etc... But yes, book well ahead... or take a couple of days mid week. G+S and Divers Den both have discounted rates on charters mid week, and rooms are less too!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions... although Perry at G+S, and Kelly at Diver's Den will be happy to help you!

G+S Watersports Ltd.
Divers Den Tobermory`s Diving Center
Parks Canada - Fathom Five National Marine Park

When you have a bunch of dives under your belts, you can head out to some of our sweet wrecks. Here's a shot of the Arabia I took last weekend... Visibility was about 100'. :)

View attachment 187192

Wow Stu.....did you start typing this yesterday? Those old fingers...

Wow Stu.....did you start typing this yesterday? Those old fingers...

LOL... Ya, kinda turned into a novel. I should get a job with the Chamber of Commerce! ;-)

Between you and pirate, i think you two should get a cut of visitors to Toby

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom