Diving in Palawan(Philippine) or Tioman(East of Malaysisa Pen.)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

It's hard to beat Palawan for absolute beauty. I learned to dive in Palawan, and have been back several times. It's still my favorite place to dive in the world!

For wrecks, yes Coron is tops. Not much else, though, and I absolutely hated Coron town. Other than the high-end resolrts, there's only one decent place to stay, KokosNuss, and that wasn't that great. El Nido is a much more picturesque location; they have a dive shop run by a Frenchman. The island-hopping there is magnificent, with incredible deserted beaches. There are several expensive resorts in the area, but good basic accommodation in El Nido is also available. We always stay at Cliffside Cottages. A nice room with private bath is about $10 a night. There are many decent restaurants in the town.

There has been a lot of typhoon damage to the corals in both Coron and El Nido. Also, there has been too much illegal fishing, that has really torn up the reefs.

For spectacular corals, fishes, invertebrates, etc. I recommend Coco Loco Island. You would fly into Puerto Princesa. Coco Loco is a couple of hours north of there. There is an excellent dive shop at Coco Loco, run by a Belgian, Peter Ponnet, with a good command of English. He has a liveaboard as well, but as someone else pointed out, you can go to Tubbataha only in March-April.

Accommodations on the island are very comfortable nipa huts, each with their own bathroom--and hammock on the front porch. Most of them are right on the beach, with excellent snorkeling and shore diving. There is also a gorgeous swimming beach. Peter can also take you out to other areas for some absolutely incredible diving. Coco Loco Resort has a very good dining room. The night's stay will cost you probably $12-14 and the food is also very reasonable.

I've gone back there again and again and will continue to return. In fact, I plan to be there in January. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you info about how to connect with Peter. He has a dive shop in Puerto Princesa, as well, and will make it very easy for you to get to Coco Loco.

I think if you go, you'll be hooked!

Jag

WW II japanese ship wrecks, barracuda/kayangan lake (60-80 ft vis, thermocline, halocline) and don't forget gunther's cathedral. really diverse dive sites. don't expect pelagics though.

try Discovery Divers resort. cozy resort. here's the link: http://www.ddivers.com/

there's also a liveaboard trip to Apo Reef from Dec. 26 to 30. Apo Reef is between Mindoro and Palawan. i was just there 2 weeks ago and we saw mantas, jacks, barracudas, pelagics and 100+ vis. really great trip.

i'm joining the trip next month. PM me if you're interested.

Hey Jagular,

I'd be very interested in the contact info for Peter. I'm currently dreaming about a return visit to the PI's. With some contact info such as this I can actually start putting something together. I think Coco Loco is just what I'd like, and then up to Apo for a bit. When I was in the PI's in 2001 I had the good fortune to dive around Danjugan Island, a couple hours south of Bacolod, which at that time was an uninhabited island. I was working with a group doing research on the reefs so we got to dive in areas that no one else could. It's all a marine sanctuary now, and the island is a high-end ecotourist kinda place (can you say plenty pesos??). Awesome diving there. Lots more places that I"d like to check out, and Coco Loco and Apo are top of the list.
Thanks much,
Beck

Tioman is quite good if you know where to look and get a good guide (try Reeno). Plus it's an easy ferry ride from Singapore (3hrs), and cheap. If you're traveling via Singapore, then Tioman is a good choice for un-demanding dives, a good variety and number of fish. Viz can be a bit of hit-and-miss, but 3-15m is the norm. December is not a good time to visit, though. The seas can be rough, and the rain (sometimes even tropical storm) is going to drench you 24/7. But I think diving may still be possible, just take shedloads of seasickness pills with you.

I'd recommend these sites:
- Gua Layang-layang. Lots of huge lobsters and massive schooling bumphead parrotfishes.
- Tiger Reef - mantas sighted here 3 weekends ago.
- Soyak - easy dives & lots of nudis.
- Labas - an abundance of fishes.

I've yet to go to Coron, so can't offer any info there.

Happy diving!

IMO Tioman is one of the best spots in SE Asia for good reefs and diversity of life.

Ive see some damage around soya island reef but thats about it.

I really dont get the previous posting about Coron. Wrecks there are good even though some are really showing their age, but what 'life'? Maybe I missed it. Is there any reef there??

Hihi,

I was in Tioman about 3 weeks ago & spotted manta ray there.

Coral life is getting better then before, do check it out starting mid-end of March till end of October.

Plenty of marine life to be seen & is a second best diving spot in east of pen. Malaysia.

No. 1 would be Tenggol Island ... deep, lively... awesome too.

If you like to see the manta ray&some digital underwater picture, do check out my website.

Most of the picture is taken at Tioman&Perhentian Island.

Ta :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom