Diving in Punta Cana, March 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JroCLiff

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys,

I'm headed to Punta Cana at the beginning of March for a week while my friends get hitched, staying at the Majestic Colonial Punta Cana resort. I was hoping to get some dives in while everyone else is sleeping off their hangovers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to dive, what operators to use, etc?

Trawling the forum here a number of things seem to reoccur.

1. Diving in Punta Cana isn't that great - damaged reefs, not that much marine life, vis sometimes so-so.

2. If you can, take a day trip down to Catalina Island, where the diving is a bit better.

Any thoughts? I'm not too picky and will glad to get back in the water. I find people's opinions on what consitutes "low vis" or "limited marine life" are fairly subjective. As someone who normally dives in the St. Lawrence or Lake Ontario I am planning on having a good time regardless!

Thanks

Comparing to lakes in Ontario, the visibility will be much better for sure. Yes it is relative what is good and what is not. I guess you are one of us, as long you are under water you are happy :)
So that said, people prefer diving on the south side because yes the visibility is usually better and yes you can see more, but getting here from Punta Cana takes about hour and a half plus extra money of course. All the dive ops I used to know there changed owners or personnel so the only one I can recommend in that area is Dressel Divers, but don't know how far they are from your resort and if they would pick you up.
And about Catalina - because I live here and have lots of other choices I do not go there anymore. For me and our clients it's too crowded and also most of the time the sea is a bit wavy on the way back. But again it is my opinion, all dive shops from the area go to the island and people enjoy diving and snorkeling there.

There will be a dive shop affiliated with your resort. Punta Cana diving is at best, marginal. 40' max depth, 50' vis, lots of surge, mostly dead coral, and a few of the "usual" caribbean fishes. If you have the day to do it go south, it is worth the trip. The resort dive shop will probably have a charter going there. A few extra pesos but compared to Punta Cana...Well worth it.

Hey Guys,

I'm headed to Punta Cana at the beginning of March for a week while my friends get hitched, staying at the Majestic Colonial Punta Cana resort. I was hoping to get some dives in while everyone else is sleeping off their hangovers.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to dive, what operators to use, etc?

Trawling the forum here a number of things seem to reoccur.

1. Diving in Punta Cana isn't that great - damaged reefs, not that much marine life, vis sometimes so-so.

2. If you can, take a day trip down to Catalina Island, where the diving is a bit better.

Any thoughts? I'm not too picky and will glad to get back in the water. I find people's opinions on what consitutes "low vis" or "limited marine life" are fairly subjective. As someone who normally dives in the St. Lawrence or Lake Ontario I am planning on having a good time regardless!

Thanks

Keep in mind Punta Cana is still atlantic ocean aera so don't aspect caribbean circumstances. I worked several years as an instructor in the area of punta cana and had also nice dives. All the resorts have their own watersport/divecenters and pricewise you could walk "nextdoor" to check out prices. Nearby your resort there is a shipwreck called "Monica" nice divesite! Enjoy your stay! Check out Bayahibe on internet; the best area for diving on the island.

hey guys,

thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated. I will try and take a daytrip if possible.

cheers!

Interested to hear how you make out in DR. Staying at Majestic Colonial next year and interested in your diving experiences

Going to Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana next month. I would love for those who did local dives to comment about them. I couldn't get in touch with the dive shop at Majestic. They will not return my emails. Please update me on your experiences when you get the chance. Thanks!

There is a wreck dive "The Astron" but the dive ops will only take you there when the sea is really calm. Other than than that, all diving is done on a strip of reef about 3 minutes off shore. When I was there the vis was around 50 feet or so on every dive. We saw a decent number of morays and nurse sharks and the usual reef fish. There is a lot of surge but if you relax and go with the flow it isn't a concern. The diving in Bayahibe is MUCH better...relatively healthy reefs and 100' of vis. In my opinion it is well worth a day trip.

Bob (Toronto)

Back
Top Bottom