Diving in Punta Cana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JAK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Happy New Year and hopefully we won't get too many cold and snowy days from now until spring... yeah sure! Does anyone have suggestions for diving in Punta Cana. I've heard of Dressler and Ocean Blue (I think that is the name, maybe not). I want to make sure it is safe to get around and the operator practices safe diving standards as per PADI.

Thanks,

Jak

Mexico Ah yes! many years ago it was safe and wonderful place to vacation and dive. Today the country is quickly going to crap with organised crime were the police and military are on the take from drug lords in all locations with open street gun battles jesus! its the new Columbia. I'll have to give Mexico 6 thumbs down until the situation improves before my family vacations there. just my view :no:.

Hey Roastbeef,

Punta Cana is in Dominican Republic...I agree with you on Mexico...it's terrible and not part of my vacation plans.

Cheers,

JAK

Get a bad burrito or what. Mexico is just like anywhere else. There area areas to avoid. If you want trouble, you will find trouble. If to use your common sense you will have the time of your life. Maybe it’s a good idea you stay away and leave some of the best diving in the world to rest of us

Mexico Ah yes! many years ago it was safe and wonderful place to vacation and dive. Today the country is quickly going to crap with organised crime were the police and military are on the take from drug lords in all locations with open street gun battles jesus! its the new Columbia. I'll have to give Mexico 6 thumbs down until the situation improves before my family vacations there. just my view :no:.

Hey Roastbeef,

Punta Cana is in Dominican Republic...I agree with you on Mexico...it's terrible and not part of my vacation plans.

Cheers,

JAK

I apologize ahead of time for the flaming but I gotta say that these are two of the most ignorant and flagrantly false statements I've ever read here on scubaboard and I just feel that the record must be corrected.

I don't know what you guys are reading up there in the great white north but the fact is that the problems you are describing are along Mexico's northern border, which is far, as in 1000 miles away, from all the diving.

It would be tantamount to saying that Disney World is dangerous because of all the problems in Camden, NJ.

I just got back from ten days in Cozumel with my wife and two-year old baby girl and not a hint of trouble.

The reason why I feel so strongly about setting the record straight is that many people are avoiding Mexico based on similar false information and it is really hurting the economy of places like Cozumel where tourists are as safe as can be.

I don't mean to chill any opinions here but both of you are just plain wrong and I want to let everyone know that diving in Mexico is safe and spectacular.

Last edited:
...And yes, Punta Cana is in the D.R. I appologize for the thread jack. I'm actually very interested in any answers to the OP's question because my business partner is traveling to Punta Cana in May and I would love to pass along some advice to him. How is the diving there, generally?

Jak,

Went to Punta Cana last summer on a family vacation. Off shore diving was disappointing - dead reefs and murky water. I took one trip to some out islands (don't remember the name) that were an hour away where the diving was much better, but couldn't take the time away from the family enough to do more than one trip. I did hear that the inland cenotes were a better alternative, but I was unable to get to the dive shops that ran those trips. Most off the inclusive resorts in Punta Cana just want to herd divers to their in-shore reefs.

Mike

JAK why not ask in the Dominican Republic section of Scubaboard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom