Diving in Quezon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i do recall seeing rocky outcrops breaching the waterline just before reaching the area of infanta a few years back. am wondering if there's something to see there. waves also pose a problem as i recall.

anyways, living in cainta, rizal makes me about 1.5 hours away from real, quezon via pilillia-siniloan highway...if there's something there well... :D

the shoreline of real is rather the limiting factor, it is unlike anilao and puerto galera that you are by the reefs edge from the shore.

it would take considerable distance from shore to an area where you may desend. and the contour is more of sandy area. hence you have to be far off the shore.

good news though. a commercial port is being planned to be set up in that area. that would spruce up economic development and perhaps a dive op may be able to overcome those limiting factors.

at this time of the year ,the prevailing south west moonsoon, you can expect relative calmer seas whne there is no weather disturbance.

january thru summer time phils , is surf time in the area.

Just to give you an idea how far I'd need to lug my gear to reach the end of the shore, here's some photos.

However, where our house is located, the shoreline is not sand at all, it's more volcanic rock, all the way down. If I can convince my dad to get a bigger boat, it would be cool to be the first dive operators in the area. He's not interested at this point though, he's happy diving with the locals.

clgsamson:
a future pinoy SBers dive-o-rama site?

Definitely.

That's why I'm interested in doing a feasibility study on the area. To scout out any potential dive sites reachable from Real. Real would most likely be the dive base, then a short banca trip to the dive sites. It depends if there's any worthwhile sites, also if my dad agrees..lol.

yup volcanic rock nearing the infanta area...i remember walking over them around the area where there's a telecom facility near the beach (looked like a submarine cable attaches to this building)

we'll neve know until someone tries diba

there is an easier way than to scout 8possible dive area.

Simple, sink down several wrecks or construct / buils several artificial reefs that would not be damaged by the onslaught of the pacific waves crashing from january to june.

Good news that the towns are getting an economic port. Maybe a stronger economic backbone will put pressure on the illegal logging that goes on there.

Greatwolf, do you mountain bike or dirt bike? I know the area is known for that. If your dad knows some dive sites already, that's awesome! It would be interesting to see the biota around there.

I met a husband/wife who were from Polillo islands (I can't remember which island). They currently both work as Doctors at the Veteran's. They told me the place is really nice and there are small resorts there (they told me you can snorkel, but I didn't ask about scubadiving since I wasn't a scubadiver last year). But they mentioned the waves were choppy (don't know if it's an all year thing or if it was just during that time). They also told me the place is very remote, and when they were visiting family in december last year they they got stuck in the whole Quezon disaster mess (they were the only 2 doctors on the island at that time!).

Anyway, I'll defintely be looking forward to a report if you do go. It'll be an awesome adventure.

my friend's clan owns cagbalete island off the coast of mauban... i've been there several times in the past and it's really sandy... during low tide we'd have a hectare-sized sandbar (a LOT of fun w/ a full moon and lambanog hahahaha)

anyway, coming in i didn't spot any reef structures, scattered rocks and small corals, starfish, weeds... not very interesting diving if you're used to the usual local sites... the windward side of the island naman was very tempermental... very rocky...

i can get you in touch with them if you're interested though

Jag

Back
Top Bottom