Diving in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. We are going to Durban in April for a wedding and I am wondering if anyone can recommend areas for diving/dive operators. What sort of diving is there--reef or wrecks? Should I lug a drysuit or can I dive my 7mm? I dive in MA year round, so I am used to colder water. Thanks for any advice (we are just in the nascent stages of planning).

There is a regular contributor on the Lonely Planet "thorntree" diving and snorkelling page who goes by "lecap". He is an avid diver in SA with lots of great information to share.

oceancat:
Hi. We are going to Durban in April for a wedding and I am wondering if anyone can recommend areas for diving/dive operators. What sort of diving is there--reef or wrecks? Should I lug a drysuit or can I dive my 7mm? I dive in MA year round, so I am used to colder water. Thanks for any advice (we are just in the nascent stages of planning).

Try contact Mickey at The Whaler DC in Umkomaas. Also a 7mm wetsuit should be fine.
Otherwise have a great time!

A 7mm is more than enough - most of us use a 5mm in Durban , or even a 3mm - the water is quite warm.You will cook in a drysuit.I'm sure someone will jump in here and post water temps .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Most popular dives near Durban are:

Aliwal Shoal (dives ranging from 10m to 30m).
Produce (Wreck dive, very broken up, 31m).
Nebo (Wreck dive, very broken up, 27m to 30m).

All of this is off Umkomaas.
There are a number of dive charters.
We use Seafever once a month (www.seafever.co.za).

You can also go about 100km South of Durban and dive Protea Banks.
Advanced, drift, 30m - 35m, known for Bull (Zambesi), Tiger and the odd Great White sharks.

Off Durban are a number of dives but not known to me.
Do a search for Durban Underwater Club - they dive in/around Durban.

In April we would use 3mm to 5mm wetsuits (water temps 21 to 24 degrees C).

Aliwal Shoal is great! If you have a few days, go north and do Sodwana Bay.

I was cold in a 3 mm shortie at Aliwal; switched to a 5 mm full wetsuit, which was just right in November.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom