Diving in South Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prodjbm:
Thanks solodover, I may look into that, I just wanna make sure I have enough experience before I do any diving in groups so I don't hold anyone up with my inexperience

Bill,
Don't feel that way. If you shy away because you do not want to inconvenience others you will never get the experience. Part of the fun of this sport is helping other divers and giving advice. (weather they want it or not)
There are plenty of divers that are willing to buddy up with newer divers. Everyone remembers when they first hit the water. It is just better if the buddy knows about the circumstances beforehand.
Don't worry about running out to get the redundant air source right away. You can rent pony bottles from the LDS in the beginning.
Whenever you want to go diving just put a shout out with; When and Where and I am sure you will get some takers. You have some locals floating around.

BTW: What part of CM county?
Karl

Hey Karl, I am located just outside Sea Isle City. Thanks again for the offer and I'm sure I will be giving a shout out for some diving

Bill

Dectek, you're wrong. I would much rather blow a dive with someone in the quarry than blow a dive buddying up with someone on a boat after paying 100 bucks or more to be there to have that person call the dive because they are cold, or scared because they can't see more than 2 feet in front of them. It is a different world up here, I don't care what any of you self proclaimed diving professionals say.

After doing probably less than 10 dives in 70+ degree spring water, diving up here there will be some time needed for acclimation to our on average 40-50 degree bottom temps. But you go right on ahead, be my guest, and waste your time and money buddying up with someone who thinks they can hack it, when they have no cold water experience whatsoever.

I'm not discouraging anybody to go to the ocean, I love diving there. I'm just saying that there is no place for an inexperienced diver in the cold murky water of the northeast. That's how accidents happen. How many times does the story start off with: Jim, who was recently certified in the calm clear warm waters of blahblah decided to try a nice shallow dive off the coast of Jersey when he couldn't find the anchor line, ran out of air, then got eaten by a shark.

Seriously, as a "responsible" diver, would you rather see new divers practice in a calm location, or go out on a boat in what was supposed to be 2-4' seas but turned into 3-6' footers, crap vis, and a 2 knot current? Besides, all the DIR zealots spend more time there than anybody I know, so I guess being at the quarry is the right way to do it.

Abusive statements edited by NetDoc

WOW....Sorry you feel that way. I am glad I did not run into folks with that attitude when I started or I may not be a diver today. I was not trying to tick anyone off or invite attacks. One of my first dives I had problems getting down because no matter what I did, I could not clear. I was very embarrassed and kept apologizing to my buddy. Ge gave me the old "Don't worry about it. It happens to everyone at some time. It's OK. We all were new at one time" speech.

I like the do unto others routine so that is where I was when I made that post.
As far as the DIR and the "you self proclaimed diving professionals" crap. Where have I made statements that fell into that category? I would however like to inject that most of the diving accidents I have read about with new divers occurred in warm water.
Kind of ironic because that is where I will be in 6 hours... Look out Largo...Here I come.

Bill
I have to agree with both Jonny, and dectek. Dutch would be a good place to practice skills, or try out that new piece of gear, but I don't want the majority of my diving to be done there. The wrecks right in our backyard are great, the diving is alot different that the crystal clear water in Florida, but once you get used to the conditions you'll love it.
Check out the local dive shops like East coast, and Atlantic. The people at both shops are friendly. You can walk in, and spend a few hours asking questions, and get honest answers. The Ursula leaves right out of Sea Isle. The crew are friendly, and patient with newbys. Anytime you want to go diving, either the ocean, or Dutch, give a shout here or Wreckvalley.com.

I think Dutch is good for trying out new gear and getting used to cold water, but as was stated earlier vis is much better than in the ocean.

Another option is inlets. The water is warmer, but gets you used to crappier vis and curent.

Of course nothing but going out on a boat will prepare you for those high NJ seas, when they happen.

Me, buy Dutch! No way.

Ask the guys in this group how many times they had to drag me into the water at Dutch. My favorit quote this season was, "wake me when the burgers are ready!"

The first dive of the season, when the Tuna Seizure called the dive, I wound up at Dutch. After getting of the phone with FrankF I proceed to throw all my gear back in the car without even gearing up, so I could go out on the Dina Dee the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom