Diving in Spain near Torrevieja ( between Alicante and Cartagena )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jason,

I'm quite sure I will take up diving before long (within the next two months I guess) but I can't really make up my mind where. You said you've been diving from Sandycove whats the name of the school/club out there I may just look them up. There is the temperature issue and also the price I've been looking around and in most countries here in europe you are charged something between 250 and 400, what I've seen around here is more like 550. Is there anything different in the OWD in Ireland?

BR,Mike

Hi Mike...

I'm diving with Oceandivers ( 01-2801083, www.oceandivers.ie ). We do our pool dives in Stillorgan ( or the NAC when it reopens ) and sea dives in Sandyford. Another company I've seen is Flagship Scuba ( 01-6670988, www.flagshipscuba.com ). I haven't had a bad experience wit Flagship or anything like, but Oceandivers were very friendly and helpful when I first rang them, so I went with them! They also buy brand new gear at the start of every year, so I'm learning with new equipment, which is cool.

I've been looking around too, and you're right, diving is unfortunately more expensive in Ireland than in other European Countries. The OW course in Oceandivers is €590, and in Flagship Scuba it's €595. Some places I've checked in Spain have it for about €450. Note, there is a 'Scuba Diver' course, which is basically 3 out of the 5 OW modules, and that's normally a fair bit cheaper ( say approx. €400 in Ireland, €300 in Spain ), but why go for Scuba Diver, you might as well get Open Water, it's a much better 'first' course.

If you haven't dived before, and want to check it out first, both Oceandivers and Flagship offer 'Discover Scuba' nights, which is basically the first night and pool dive of the OW Course. If costs €49 with Oceandivers, and that €49 is then taken off your €590 for the full OW course, assuming you decide to continue.

If I can give you any more info, just feel free to ask. I'm delighted I gave scuba a go, I'm definitely hooked now and am already planning my Advanced Open Water course ( and I haven't finished the Open Water course yet! )

J.

Hi Jason,

Sounds cool. I'll check both of them even though I'm still no sure where to go. Doing the pool dives in Stillorgan would be nice, I'm just living down the road.

Many thanks,
Mike

Not sure you are still following this thread but just to let you know I'm gonna do my OWD next week with oceandivers. maybe we can meet up one day.

Hi Mike,

Delighted to hear you're starting your OWD with OceanDivers, they're a great bunch, and have been very helpful to me. I hope to do my last two Open Water Dives tomorrow in Sandycove, and will hopefully then be qualified. I've also taken the step and bought some equipment ( mask, snorkel, fins and boots ) so I'll be trying them tomorrow too, and they'll come in handy when I get to Spain in June. Have already decided to do the Advanced Open Water course with OceanDivers that starts at the end of July.

Best of luck with the course, I'm sure I'll see you around at some stage!

J.

Yup, as you know there is now way avoiding anybody here in Dublin :) it's just to small. I'll post back here or maybe we meet one day at OD (sorry I'm to lazy to write ocen divers) well we'll see. Mike

Golum Golum you need

1 ! zertivicate of medical Marinespecification,A shipholdresregistcard,that show you sa ship autoriciced,or a Agramdepatemant fisherilicence. As Briton a workeslicence and a esecture, and when ou ever come to close to me i call the Guardia to arrest you OK???

golum:
Hello Jason...I live a little further down the coast from Cartagena, although I haven´t dived around that area as yet ( planning a few club dives there this year )but you could try Andy at Antípodas Buceo...http://www.antipodasbuceo.com/flash.htm
I met him once last year, came across as a top bloke...hence the reason why I´m planning a few club dives with him this year ( He´s also from Ireland if thats any help ).
If you do fancy a trip a little bit further south, I´m about two hours from where you will be staying, however, thats at the speed I drive...and my driving has been compared to " Driving Miss Daisy "...
With regards medical cert´s, we pay 12€...A years insurance is 44€, for a week...around 8 - 10 €.
If you need anymore information, let me know and I´ll try and help out...

All the best.

Pete.

morsnowski:
*** can you repeat that in english ? I really don't get anything out of that post. :huh:

I have to agree, I'm not sure when he meant either!

As a ( late ) report, I did 6 dives off Cabo De Palos ( 40 minute drive south from Torrevieja town ) with Kees ( http://www.divecostablanca.com/ ). Did 2 dives on Sunday, 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday. The conditions were excellent ( 15m+ Viz, 25 C Water Temp, and lots of fish! ) especially compared to Dublin Bay! Some nice swim-throughs and small caves, and a lovely little cafe for an after dive drink!

Kees was a really sound guiy, he knew his stuff, and he knew the loactions very well ( we dove in a different Bay every day ). Dives cost €55 per day ( for two dives and all the equipment ). I'd highly recommend diving with Kees if you go over there.

Jason.

was in the 80 i and a frind off me dit d dive near the Benicasim ,a folk from eden dive Center come throu...it is all day the same thing with those there is no law that you have to pay some ear test when you a are a guest diver and i think i know what that is about and whay that is in here i was not his coast and he have no to drung ppl by that .....
7*

Jasonb:
I have to agree, I'm not sure when he meant either!

As a ( late ) report, I did 6 dives off Cabo De Palos ( 40 minute drive south from Torrevieja town ) with Kees ( http://www.divecostablanca.com/ ). Did 2 dives on Sunday, 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Thursday. The conditions were excellent ( 15m+ Viz, 25 C Water Temp, and lots of fish! ) especially compared to Dublin Bay! Some nice swim-throughs and small caves, and a lovely little cafe for an after dive drink!

Kees was a really sound guiy, he knew his stuff, and he knew the loactions very well ( we dove in a different Bay every day ). Dives cost €55 per day ( for two dives and all the equipment ). I'd highly recommend diving with Kees if you go over there.

Jason.

Back
Top Bottom