Diving in Taveuni, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasonreid50

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone -

I am considering heading to Fiji in July, staying on Taveuni. I plan on doing most of my diving in the Somosomo area - great white wall, etc...

Bunch of questions:
Has anyone stayed at Coconut Grove Hotel - what are your thoughts?
How do people rate Jewel Bubble Divers on Taveuni?
How strong are the currents off Taveuni really - I have heard mixed things.
How does Taveuni diving compare to other areas in Fiji.

Thanks guys.

HI,
Wife and I did 2 weeks in Taveuni Xmas 07 NewYear 08. We dived with Vunibokoi divers: Tovu Tovu Resort | Fijian Hospitality | Taveuni, Fiji and enjoyed it. Jewel Bubble seemed to be the busiest dive op on the north end of the island...but we saw the boats from Garden Island/Aqua Trek quite a lot too. We chose Vunibokoi as it was recommended by our host (a local) and we were not disappointed.

We did not stay or eat at Coconut Grove...mostly due to mixed reviews from other travelers...

The currents can be strong, but the dives ops *should* be choosing sites that are (more) 'dive-able' on a particular day...I thought Tyrone from Vunibokoi did a good job of picking sites that were good on the day AND catered to the variety of ability levels on the boat.

We dived in the Strait 4-5 days, did the great white wall twice and several other good dives in that area. I found the GWW a bit 'overrated' based on the two days we did there, but YMMV. There are certainly some nice dives in that neighborhood...We enjoyed the diving up on the northern end of Taveuni (and the nearby smaller islands) just as much (if not more). A couple of nice walls there and if you can time it to get a good drift dive, its tough to beat

Recommend the pizza at Tramanto's and friday night lovo at Tovu Tovu with the local 'band'...the playing gets better as more kava goes down. (they have reasonable accom if you're on a budget)...If you get a chance for seafood night at Makaira (ask around, was Tuesdays), you'll not be disappointed as Capt John catches and cooks some of the best seafood I've had...sashimi, tuna steaks, fresh seafood pasta...and (often) a good chance to meet other locals and travelers.

cheers

The wife and I plan on heading to Taveuni mid May we will probably be staying at the Taveuni Island Resort.Any more info on what to do and not will be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I stayed at the Garden island resort last March and got married while there. That means we are welcome back anytime according to the minister. It is a nice resort with a tree full of fruit bats (think flying fox) that are fun to watch in the morning and evenings (New management has taken over since then). Currents depend on several factors (moon cycle etc). We went with our local dive shop group. All but 4 were instructors so it was a VERY experienced group. For some reason the dive operators did not seem to like drift dives. Some of the dives (several) had ripping currents. After one dive several of the group referred to it as the dive from hell. I really learned to read the topography and "sprint" to the next available shelter. My wife had the least experience but on that dive I asked Tuaki, the divemaster to keep an eye on her. He literally held her hand the whole dive with me tagging along close behind. When she came up (last with Tuaki) she had a huge grin on her face and said "That was a BALL". Kind of shut up the complainers lol. But figure on some pretty significant currents there. A lot of water flows between those two islands. Taveuni literally straddles the international date line. There is a sign where the line passes. Kind of fun to get your picture taken there. You have to go up a road, cross a soccer field and find it in front of a little church. The colors were breathtaking. After the red sea Fiji and Australia are my next two favorite dive sites. Course I have miles to go and dived to make before that becomes significant. Have fun, the people are fabulous.

Last edited:
We're thinking of going to Taveuni in June with some friends for our anniversary. Right now we're looking at staying 5 nights. We're thinking of doing 3 tank dives for four days. Is this too much? We're also looking at diving in Beqa Lagoon to do the shark dives, but we were also thinking of going up north in Viti Levu to dive E6. We basically have two weeks to spend in Fiji. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions??

My wife and I stayed at the Taveuni Island Resort this past October 2008. We both really enjoyed it. You will have an absolutely gorgeous cliff view of the strait from your burro. The food is very good to excellent and the staff is top notch, friendly, helpful, there when you need them, not there when you don't. My wife does not dive and she loved the resort. It is a perfect, small, quiet getaway. Be aware that the resort mostly appeals to honeymooners. I was the only diver at the resort that week. I dived with Vunibokoi divers. They will send a driver to pick you up every morning and take you to the dive shop which is located about 2 miles south of the resort. From there you will get aboard the dive boat and decide where to dive. The currents in the strait can be mild to rippin', but the DM is/are pretty good about choosing the sites but then I like current---usually, less work! I have to agree with the above poster's remarks regarding the White Wall. I guess you have to do it since you are in the neighborhood, but I liked other sites better. Email me for further information if you like.

Sincerely,

imasleeper

Back
Top Bottom