Diving in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean-o

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for suggestions for a place to dive in the Caribbean in May. This will be a 5 days/4 nights trip, so nothing too far.
I have dived Nassau, Bonaire and Cozumel and loved all! I want to try new places. I have heard great things about Cayman, but also that it is expensive! I would also like to try Turks & Caicos or Belize. Found some inexpensive timeshares in Dominican Republic. Anyone been there?
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Jean-o

I have to say don't rule out the cayman's. It can be expensive, but depending upon your criteria, you can do it fairly cheaply (self catering, off the beach) And mixing expensive boat dives with shore dives. Some of the shore dives are easy access ( ladder) and the same spots you go to from the boats anyway, just $7.50 per tank instead of $45.

Jean-o:
Hi,
I am looking for suggestions for a place to dive in the Caribbean in May. This will be a 5 days/4 nights trip, so nothing too far.
I have dived Nassau, Bonaire and Cozumel and loved all! I want to try new places. I have heard great things about Cayman, but also that it is expensive! I would also like to try Turks & Caicos or Belize. Found some inexpensive timeshares in Dominican Republic. Anyone been there?
Thanks!
Jean-o

Welcome to Scubaboard! Grand Cayman is expensive anyway you cut it. Turks & Caicos can be expensive unless you find a good air-included package (check Travelzoo. com for periodic packages). If you want to try someplace new with guaranteed great diving then TCI may be for you. Check out Caicos Adventures for the diving. Great op. DR has ruined their marine environment and the diving is pretty bad from what I hear. I would say that the best value on your list is Cozumel. I have been many times and would go again in a heartbeat if I wanted great diving at a great price.

I know Tim is very experienced at all these places but as the saying goes You get what you pay for. I have been to Coz, and other places. I have liked the Caymans best of all with Aruba next. I just love to be under the water but when I come out I like to be in a place that is clean, people don't hound you every second to buy, buy, buy like in Mexico. Every time we go to Mexico we get sick. Everyone we stayed with got sick. We only stayed at 5* hotels and ate all inclusive. We only drank bottled water if we drank any. We have had money stolen out of our rooms in Mexico and hated most of the time we were there. We are not partiers as I know Mexico is for the partier. I know Tim and others disagree but we hated it. In Aruba it was clean with the most friendly people you will ever meet. When we were at the Caymans several years ago it was also clean and very friendly. My 2cents isn't with the norm I guess but if you're willing to put out a little extra (not that much more) you will be guaranteed a good time with no sickness in Aruba or the Caymans.

Usaully after April 15th you can find some good deals in the Carribean. I would keep checking around. It is a good idea to go to other islands and not get stuck in one spot, there is so little time and money that when an opportunity arises to visit new places they must be taken. If you do end up spending a bit more than you want, who'll remeber 5 years from now how much extra you spent, it's not like you're talking multi thousands of dollars. I've been to the islands you've listed as well as others. Each place is like an apple and a peach, their flavor is different, in a sense hard to compare. I say try a bite of the Caymans and if you try Grand Cayman then make sure you dive StingRay City. If you go to Little Cayman prepare yourself for some of the best wall diving found anywhere. If your go to T & C, then you'll be amazed at not only great walls but also see more pelagics there than most places. Diving off Provo with Fifi is a real trip.
All the best,
Caymaniac

Jean-o:
Hi,
Thanks!
Jean-o

For a combination of good diving and modest prices, look at Roatan.

IMHO, Little Cayman diving is as good as it gets in the Caribbean. Look for deals during the late spring, summer, and fall. There are some very nice resorts there - Pirates Point and the Southern Cross Club are tiops in my book.

If you're into eco-tourism and like hiking, consider Dominica. The diving is interesting (little critters - don't go looking for big fish) and the rain forest and volcanic lakes are beautiful!

Good diving and a beachless, precipitous and charming island - go to Saba. The experience of flying in there is worth the trip!

Don't mind spending a few bucks for very good diving and accommodations and dining? Try Lighthouse Reef Resort in Belize.

Want to experience cavern diving? Akumal is the place.

Like to see the unsalvaged remains of an 18th century warship and get in some very nice wall diving? Go to Salt Cay in the T&C.

Obviously, there are many interesting places to visit and dive in the Caribbean. I've mentioned some that I've enjoyed - and omitted some that I haven't. <G>

Scotty:
I just love to be under the water but when I come out I like to be in a place that is clean, people don't hound you every second to buy, buy, buy like in Mexico. Every time we go to Mexico we get sick. Everyone we stayed with got sick. We only stayed at 5* hotels and ate all inclusive. We only drank bottled water if we drank any. We have had money stolen out of our rooms in Mexico and hated most of the time we were there.

I on the other hand never got bothered by anyone trying to sell stuff unless I was on the cruise ship shopping strip. I never got sick and don't know anyone who ever got sick. I heard about stuff being stolen out the rooms but have never experienced it. So. . .go back, stay away from the strip, drink beer not water (just kidding) and tip your maid next time. I am not saying Mexico is perfect, far from it, but IMHO it is an unbeatable bargain for diving. Aruba and Grand Cayman are expensive. So are the Turks & Caicos and Little Cayman. It depends on your budget and what you want out of the diving. If it is a last minute trip on a limited budget you just can't beat the Coz.

Hey Jean-o....Welcome to the board. Isn't planning a trip half the fun. We're starting to plan our trips by saysing what's most important (big stuff, walls, caves, current, wierd stuff, jungle, beach, all inclusive, remote, food, etc.) then picking the best place where our money can stretch the farthest.

I liked Cayman but didn' feel far away. If clean and predictable topside with awesome diving is your gig this would be ideal. I've scene deals as cheap or close to as cheap as Cozumel. I think the Dive House has good deals.

You've got a lot of places you could go that are not too far away and relatively inexpensive...
Honduras; Belize; La Paz; Mexican Riveria, Florida Keys, Jamaica, Caymen, Bonaire.

I'm looking for a cheap place that feels far away and is maybe is far away with great beaches, great food, makes you feel like your on an adventure, big animal encounters............

What's your ideal trip?

Good luck in your search!
Will

I'm heading to Grand Turk later this month...I'll let you know how it goes.

Jean-o..... Grand Cayman is excellent value. Anyone who says it is expensive hasn't been here lately (I live in Cayman).... unless you stay at the Hyatt/Westin/Ritz on Seven Mile Beach and dine at 5* restaurants for every meal. There are lots of affordable options and the flights are much cheaper than a few years ago with more direct flights. Shop around online and you'll get some deals. Try some of the places on the East End / North Side or West Bay - keep clear of Seven Mile Beach / Gerge Town area if you don't like crowds and cruise ships.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your input and your warm welcome! I am so glad I was referred to this borad!
Tim, I did like Cozumel, and am planning to go back in August with a friend to my home resort-Aventura Spa Palace/Riviera Maya.
Scotty, I have to say that I was sick in Mexico last year and thought I was going to die! I think it was the fruit on a side trip--NEVER AGAIN will I eat outside the resort!!
Greybeard and Will--thanks for so many other choices! And Munkispank, Nemo & Caymaniac, I will still consider Cayman. Maybe I'll just have to shp around some more. I'll let you know what I finally decide, and how it goes.
I look forward to talking again!
Have fun!
Jean-o

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom