Question How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiker11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see on that a lot of people like diving Cozumel. We've never been. I'm trying to convince my husband to try it because it's relatively close for us to travel to. But after a bad experience in Mexico 20 years ago (not diving related), he isn't especially keen to go. I'm wondering..... How does Cozumel compare to other dive destinations? We're fairly new divers -- we have about 200 dives each. We've been to Belize, Turks & Caicos (LOB), Grand Caymen, Kona, Maui, Bali, Cairns (LOB)/ Heron Island/ Hamilton Island Australia, Rottnest Island Australia, Raja Ampat (LOB), Fiji, Bora Bora, Rangiroa & Loreto (Baja). I know every place is unique but I was just wondering where on the spectrum it falls. I hear people rave about Belize (and other places in the Caribbean), but we thought those places were just ok for diving when we went. Is Cozumel better than the Belize? Does it rival Fiji or Cairns? I'm just interested in evaluating the diving, not the topside/ restaurants/ nightlife or budget considerations.

I can't speak to Fiji, Cairns or Belize. I've dove Bahamas, St Thomas area, Jamacia, Caymans, Curaco then came here to Thailand - dove here in Similans, Phi Phi area then whent to Dauin. I lived in Cozumel for 6 years and had a dive business there for over a year.

I think every dive destination is an experience, some more unique than others. Most have a different flavor, if that flavor is something you like, than maybe it's worth a visit.

I went to Dauin for the macro pics but wanted some reef dives at Apo Island - the reefs weren't Cozumel but it wasn't bad either, it was a different view is all, a new experience.

I love Cozumel but I have been fortunate to dive all of Cozumel and then some. The marine life is ok, the macro is ok, the view is pretty good - what I think stands out is the way you dive. Diving in small groups, drift diving and valet service - that to me is something I don't see anywhere (Dauin private gudes were amazing)..... The diving is great, the reef system is such that you get great multi level dives, 60 minute dives that cover a great variety of terrain. Most all smaller boat valet shops have tremendous guides that put their own spin on any reef - you can't beat the lazy drift diving. The texture or view in Cozumel is so different from East side Isolote, Maricaibo thru San Juan, Baracuda and even the shark caves un North.....

Ten days with an adventurous operator and you'll be smiling, ten days with a blahh operator might leave a little to be desired but then again, you don't know what you missed because you haven't seen it....

IMO, if you love dive experiences, Cozumel should be way up your list as a place to try. We all want different things, maybe you'll become a once a year visitor or maybe you'll be able to say you've been there - you won't know until you've tried it.

What @ChuckP said.

Coz has great dives, great food, and great people watching in the Plaza. It's well worth checking it out.

If you're husband is worried about safety, it's just like anywhere else. Don't go where you don't belong.

For me it’s the best diving in the Caribbean. More abundant fish life than most of the Caribbean and great topography with a lot of color. Also there are many great restaurants on the island. We like it for the diving, the food, the atmosphere and ease of getting there.

I know you said to exclude topside and budget but I don't see how those can be excluded unless your vacation budget is more than most of us make. I wouldn't say Coz is the best diving but I think it's the best value.

The diving itself is similar to other Caribbean locations except the reef structure is larger and it's drift diving. I think the best diving I've had in the Caribbean was Grand Cayman east side but hard to compare one random week with another. I don't see large amounts of marine life in Coz (or the Caribbean) lately, not like the massive schools I see in the Pacific or Red Sea. Mostly schools of grunt hiding from the current under ledges.

Since you've been to many places, how would you rank those?

My wife and I have been to Cozumel almost annually for about 20 years. The diving is fantastic. Some trips the wildlife is more abundant than others. For example, on one week long trip we saw at least one eagle ray on every dive. No exaggerating, every dive even on reefs I had never seen them before. Other trips we see 4-5 in a week.

That being said, we like the consistency of diving in Cozumel. The water temps fall into the same very comfortable 5-7 deg Fahrenheit range all year round. The reefs are in very good shape with minimal beaching, especially compared to other Caribbean destinations. The port rarely closes to small craft and when it does, in our experience it has been a one day closure. The macro is good, but with the current, it can be difficult to muck around and spy for super small critters. Although we have seen plenty of pipehorses, blennies, and nudibranchs. The current and drift diving is one of the appeals.

A key to Cozumel diving is the dive op that suits you. There are many to choose from and it all comes down to finding ones that fit your style and needs. There is no "best op in Cozumel." It's essentially, "the best op for me in Cozumel."

Traveling in Mexico has it's quirks, but staying safe takes just basic travel awareness. Considering all of the places you have been, Cozumel should be on that list.

We've been to Belize, Turks & Caicos (LOB), Grand Caymen, Kona, Maui, Bali, Cairns (LOB)/ Heron Island/ Hamilton Island Australia, Rottnest Island Australia, Raja Ampat (LOB), Fiji, Bora Bora, Rangiroa & Loreto (Baja). I know every place is unique but I was just wondering where on the spectrum it falls. I hear people rave about Belize (and other places in the Caribbean), but we thought those places were just ok for diving when we went. Is Cozumel better than the Belize? Does it rival Fiji or Cairns?
Cozumel is so popular among North Americans because it's easy to get to (many flights to Cancun from all over the US) and relatively inexpensive compared with much of the rest of the Caribbean. Also, many people enjoy the Mexican food and vibe--to me, that's a plus over, say, Belize. For your husband, it sounds like a minus.

The diving itself can be a mixed bag. On the plus side, at many sites the underwater topography is interesting: coral formations with swim-throughs, etc. In my opinion, Cozumel's marine life diversity and abundance is just average if you are comparing it with dive sites globally, but maybe somewhat above average for the Caribbean. I would rate Cozumel's diving below the diving you can do by liveaboard or resort (e.g., Turneffe) on the outer atolls of Belize, but superior to near-shore diving in Belize (e.g., day boat out of Ambergris/Caulker). My diving in Australia (out of Cairns and Port Douglas) dates to the late 1990s, so it would be unfair for me to judge Coz against what is seared into memory as perhaps the most vibrant reef in the world back then. As for Fiji, that is still some of the most beautiful soft coral in the world I have seen, and you will not find anything remotely that pretty in Cozumel. I have not been to Raja Ampat, but from what I have seen in others' photos, RA is still world-class diving despite recent overtourism. But Raja Ampat and the rest of the Coral Triangle takes a lot of travel time and money to dive.

Cozumel is not world-class anything--I would say it ranks below a merely average dive destination in the Asia-Pacific region--but it offers enough of everything, at reasonable cost and travel time, that it remains a very attractive destination for us North Americans.

Its probably best not to compared the Caribbean to the Pacific for these purposes. I have found the Pacific to be better and it really isn't close. However, for me on the East Coast, the Pacific vacations are more involved.

I do enjoy Cozumel a lot. The topography of the reefs is pretty unique with the swim throughs and the drift diving. And my afternoons chillin in the sun at the pool with a drink are just as much a part of the great experience as the diving. And then there is dinner and that's always amazing.

My other fav is Bonaire for different reasons. Its all shore diving for me. We get up when we do, eat breakfast, dive a tank or 2, grab lunch at a food truck, back at the hotel, hit the pool bar then dinner at the site restaurant/bar right on the water. Simple bar food but on the water. A simple experience with no schedule ever which contrasts to most other diving trips that run on boat schedules. Notice I didn't mention the diving which is very good and you move at your pace underwater exploring whatever you come across. Its a dream location if you are great on air because with no group you can stay down forever.

As you can see, the reasons for my favs are not all diving as I think the upside is just as important as the reef.

From my limited experience (just one recent trip to Coz), the attraction of diving there is because of its overall value proposition. As others have said, getting there is fairly inexpensive for many Americans, the diving is pretty cheap, and the lodging and food are very reasonable. I don't think the diving is all that fantastic, however. Again, this was my experience, and I went during a period when pretty much the entire Caribbean was struggling with an extended period of abnormally high water temperatures. The bleaching and die-off was extensive. I did see some interesting critters, but the dives tended to either be all-or-nothing events.

The food on Coz is a whole other story - it is fantastic! The people were very nice and very friendly, although the street hawking and haggling can get to be a bit much after a while. It's part of the culture, so you just have to accept it.

Perhaps the only better dive value out there is Blackbeard's in the Bahamas. Again, the diving isn't fantastic, but if you don't mind camping on a 65' sailboat for a week, it's a lot of fun.

Perhaps the only better dive value out there is Blackbeard's in the Bahamas. Again, the diving isn't fantastic, but if you don't mind camping on a 65' sailboat for a week, it's a lot of fun.
Cozumel is a liveaboard; it's just a bigger boat with better food. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom