How to get skills prior to diving in currents in Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
hiker11

hiker11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As a followup to @sunseek’s post about the experience needed to dive Raja Ampat, I have some additional questions. Instead of hijacking her/his thread, I thought it might be better to post my specific questions separately.

My husband and I are headed to Raja Ampat over Christmas 2023-- 11 days on the Amira followed by 7 days at the RA Dive Lodge. I consider myself a novice diver— we currently have 150 dives each (AOW, Nitrox). My air consumption on my last trip ranged from .43 cf/M to .55 cf/M. Our experience includes two LOBs --in the GBR/Australia and Turks & Caicos. We have also done diving in Rangiroa (Tiputa Pass), Bora Bora, Fiji (Tavauni), Grand Cayman, Bali, Loreto/ Baja, Hawaii, etc. We have two dive trips booked between now and RA to log more dives (10 days in Belize in April and 7 days in Loreto/Baja in Sept).

After reading about the challenging currents, I'm a little nervous about diving RA, to be honest. We often hire personal guides on our trips if they are available, but the Amira does not offer that-- they have 1 guide per 4 divers. We have never done diving that required reef hooks --we only recently purchased them in preparation for our trip. While we have our own DSMBs, we're not proficient at using them and have relied on our DM to deploy his. We've never done what I think is a negative entry, although we dove Rangiroa’s Tiputa Pass from zodiacs with a relatively quick back roll entry required.

My question is this: if you haven't used reef hooks or done negative entries before, how do you get that experience before going places that have strong current that require those skills? I’ve deployed a DSMB in a pool, but I know I should get some open water experience doing it before RA and I think I'll try to hire a private DM to do that with me in Belize when we’re there next month.

I welcome any advice on how I can improve my skills before heading to Raja Ampat as I like being prepared.

Reactions: OTF
Boy O Boy, knowing what a real negative entry is for a drift dive can make or break your experience. If you only get to do it once on a LOB, it is vital to practice, have your act together, clear often and remove all the air from your BCD. Otherwise you will look like me on my 1st negative entry drift, nervously trying to swim down to my group as they float away while also trying to use all the valves to empty the extra air.

giphy.gif

Thank you Poseidon and Neptune for the Dive Master at the end of the line to get me all straightened out and sinking. Since this embarrassing time, I have practiced sucking all the air out of my BCD using the Inflator Hose, not just pressing the button and thinking its all out.
Are you serious about sucking out the air? Good way to get a fungus infection in your lungs. Yes, I know it was common practice in the days of the Buddy BCD' s

This tip was mentioned to me by the dive op crew while on board afterwards at our debrief. It was not performed under the sea. Just do a quick check to see if you have additional air while dockside. I did try it and noticed my wing did constrict and I did not enhale any water. Still under a 100 dives, I feel with continued current drift dives, this will be just a learning and laughable scuba experience.

Thank you for the new search term and I will work on other ways like maybe a bit more lead for future drifts, just wanted to share my story in case it helps another “divbie” in the currants of Raja.

EDIT Even found a bit on scubaboard about lung fungus! hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate

spending a few minutes in an industrial washing machine would probably do the trick.

Oh yeah, boo-boo! There is no such thing as recommended rate of descent. If your ears are fine, you can bolt to the bottom.

Indeed, the sooner you get to the bottom, the better. By slowing down you defeat the purpose of negative entry.
Only if you are solo diving, or if you are sure your buddy is as fine as you are. Personally I think that not having more than only slightly negative buoyancy during an descent is a good common practice. I my experience the chance of getting nitrogen narcosis is much greater with very fast descents.

This tip was mentioned to me by the dive op crew while on board afterwards at our debrief. It was not performed under the sea. Just do a quick check to see if you have additional air while dockside. I did try it and noticed my wing did constrict and I did not enhale any water. Still under a 100 dives, I feel with continued current drift dives, this will be just a learning and laughable scuba experience.

Thank you for the new search term and I will work on other ways like maybe a bit more lead for future drifts, just wanted to share my story in case it helps another “divbie” in the currants of Raja.

EDIT Even found a bit on scubaboard about lung fungus! hypothetical question:using BCD manual inflator as spare alternate
Especially wing jackets are harder to get the air out completely. But if you jump in the water feet first, and make sure that the deflator on your jacket is really last thing to go under water, the air should be pressed out of your jacket completely easily.

Only if you are solo diving, or if you are sure your buddy is as fine as you are. Personally I think that not having more than only slightly negative buoyancy during an descent is a good common practice. I my experience the chance of getting nitrogen narcosis is much greater with very fast descents.
Well, I watched this in real time. The divers on the boat were divided in 2 groups when we came up to Black Rock in Costa Rica. Our DM told us to get down ASAP and meet at the bottom. This worked OK for us, no one got lost and there was no current at the bottom. But we never saw the other half down there. Turned out, their DM told them to gather on the surface, wait for his signal, then descent. They tried this twice but never found the rock and aborted the dive. We found them on the boat, quite pissed off.

" I my experience the chance of getting nitrogen narcosis is much greater with very fast descents."

You have stats to prove this? :))

" I my experience the chance of getting nitrogen narcosis is much greater with very fast descents."

You have stats to prove this? :))

See "rapid compression:" Nitrogen Narcosis - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

"

See "rapid compression:" Nitrogen Narcosis - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

The outcomes after nitrogen narcosis depend on the depth of the dive, rapidity of ascent and other comorbidities. Those who have neurological signs may have residual impairment after treatment, but for the most part, full recovery is expected in most divers."

Rapid compression is not mentioned there.

"

The outcomes after nitrogen narcosis depend on the depth of the dive, rapidity of ascent and other comorbidities. Those who have neurological signs may have residual impairment after treatment, but for the most part, full recovery is expected in most divers."

Think it is a typo in the text. I wonder if anybody on this forum can clarify this.
From Sportdiver 2018:
While nitrogen narcosis is not completely understood, there are some factors that are thought to increase the risk:

• Cold water temperatures
• Rapid descent
• Anxiety
• Alcohol or sedatives
• Fatigue
• Carbon dioxide excess

"

Many factors, in addition to individual susceptibility, potentiate the severity of the narcosis at a given depth. In particular, any increase in exogenous or endogenous carbon dioxide potentiates the narcosis synergistically. For this reason, the narcosis is likely to be more severe in the swimming or working diver wearing a breathing apparatus than in one in a pressure chamber (Table 11-2). Similarly, hard work facilitates narcosis, as does very rapid compression, alcoholic excess or hangover, and apprehension.

Back
Top Bottom