Diving in the New York City area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

59F at 90ft?

That’s warm! :wink:

Really comfortable, actually. It's not just a question of being used to it, it's just a question of dressing correctly. I think that a lot of warm water divers, even very experienced ones, just completely write off the idea of local diving when they hear the water temperatures.

If I told the average non-skier that I was going skiing, I kind of doubt I would get an immediate incredulous response or a good-natured claim that I was "crazy". If i went for a hike on a brisk fall day, no one would say "I only go hiking in the summer".

If you do outdoor activities, you dress for them appropriately! I mean, being cold is obviously subjective, and if someone says that they are uncomfortable, they are uncomfortable. Also, I know that plenty of people dive 7 mm wetsuits here and feel ok. But I think that if you take the average warm water diver and put them in a dry suit, they are a lot more likely to be comfortable and get into it.

I have been to Newfoundland. I know that there is a big difference between 34F and 60F, even though both are considered cold water diving.

I always encourage people to give diving in these conditions a good chance before writing it off. You don't ski in a bikini, and you don't dive in this area wearing a 5 mm wetsuit!

:)

Hey doctormike,
I enjoyed your video. I've ribbed a few NY divers on this board for diving in these local waters as opposed to warm, tropical places but that looks really cool.
As a single tank, non-tec diver on Long Island, are there any dives that I could do with a charter boat that you would recommend?

Hah! Looks like I was thinking of you when I wrote my last post... :D

There are a LOT of great dives within recreational limits. I know the NJ dive sites more since I'm down here most of the summer weekends (is NJ too far for you?). But if you are closer to western LI, I can recommend the Tempest and the Sea Hawk dive boats. It's getting late in the season, but all of these boats have their schedules up on their websites - we have them all here..

On LI, if you like macro diving looking for small critters, there are also some fun beach dives (like Ponquogue bridge).

Feel free to PM me and I can put you in touch with some of the captains, and one of our members who is always helping people do LI shore diving.

DoctorMike I have an original copy of "Scuba Northeast" by Bob Bachand (1982) if you would like it let me know I will gladly mail it to you it is just here on the shelf collecting dust. You could possibly share it with others who would enjoy it.

DoctorMike I have an original copy of "Scuba Northeast" by Bob Bachand (1982) if you would like it let me know I will gladly mail it to you it is just here on the shelf collecting dust. You could possibly share it with others who would enjoy it.

Sure, if you don't want it, I would love to have it! I have a nice library of those types of books. Was just reading one last night...

Will PM you with my mailing address. Thanks so much...

You’re obviously hanging out with the wrong people!

I have a few buddies willing. :)

I have a double action charter this coming Sat. with a friend, and then another one next weekend with Dive Chicago the weekend after with some folks from my dive shop. I will probably try and get one more in before the end of the season.

Most of my weekends these days have been taken up by a DMC program down at the quarry.

I have a few buddies willing. :)

I have a double action charter this coming Sat. with a friend, and then another one next weekend with Dive Chicago the weekend after with some folks from my dive shop. I will probably try and get one more in before the end of the season.

Most of my weekends these days have been taken up by a DMC program down at the quarry.

Which Double Action charter are you doing Saturday? I’m on the afternoon one. Doing the Milwaukee Car Ferry and Willie out of Milwaukee on the Molly V Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom