Ocean City, MD Diving Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpaceCat

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys!

A small group of us will be doing some OC diving here at the end of the month. As OC is new for us, I was looking for some information on how things are normally done in the area.

Do the charters prefer the milk crate gear stuffing like they do in NJ? Or another method? I can't imagine we would have much that needed to be stuffed somewhere. We are used to using boats where you put your gear on your tank and leave bags/other crap on shore. We are using Times Like These Charters. Any feedback on them specifically?

They mentioned that this month is normally when they switch from 7mm to 5mm suits. We have one person that gets cold easier, and one or two that tend to overheat, so what is the approx bottom temperature at the end of August so we can adjust as needed? The guy from the charter said we will be around 90ft deep, but we would assess the sites based on conditions that day.

I was thinking of having 34% nitrox for a few feet buffer, but I am not very familiar with the site options in the area. Would it make more sense to get 32 instead, just in case we went to a slightly deeper site? Or are we not really going to encounter the 102-112ft issue?

I am aware OC diving is its own special breed of challenging...Cold, dark, with potentials for current. I am just trying to set us up for as much success as possible having never been diving there before. The operator also said if we had any specific sites we wanted to see, he could try to get us there (conditions depending obviously). Any suggestions for sites we should try and check out? We enjoy as intact wrecks as possible (a small pile of metal on the bottom is not super interesting to us), as well as hunting bugs.

Edit to add: We are not interested in technical sites as we are all just recreational divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom