Diving in Tioman (Malaysia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To much traffic to go there... Now i just have the choice between Puerto galera and Koh lanta; if you have any idea about that choice you can PM me.

Thanks

That's a good idea. Keep talking down Tioman and no one but us few will go there. That not good for the shops there but it would be great to dive at the wonderful sites with no other divers around.

I wonder what would be the impressions of the people when reading this thread, that Tioman is crowded? Hmm, that's really weird. Honestly, Perhentian is more crowded, with a lot of bikini Westerners reading Mills and Boon on the beach.

I've been thinking about going to Tenggol but the lack of lodging choice + expensive dives really turn me off. I find it odd that there is no competitor wants to open another resort on Tenggol because the current Tenggol Aqua Resort simply overcharge people.

Anyway, MOST pristine dive sites are really a pain to get to it. Hey, do you really expect to get to great dive sites on Sentosa or Patong beach? LOL. Even Sipadan's boat journey can be choppy at best, but what makes up to it is the true expectation of the dive sites.

Regards :)

Thank you all for your first hand information.

After all this, I think that I will wait a little bit before heading off to Tioman. I might be pushing my luck a little bit too much in trying it enf of Feb.

Tenggol seems great, but having a family to keep happy, I have no choice but considering Tanjung Jara. But I need time to save some $$$!!

So now, I am thinking about Philippines! I'll open another thread for this when I have read a little bit.

Worst case scenario? I will go to Gangga island, and then Selayar or Palu (Donggala). Poor me...eyebrow

Zippsy:
That's a good idea. Keep talking down Tioman and no one but us few will go there. That not good for the shops there but it would be great to dive at the wonderful sites with no other divers around.

No matter how "bad" Tioman is, it's still zillion times better than Singapore's local waters. So Tiaoman will always be a popular site, no matter how much it is "talked down".
I wish Singapore had some great local waters. But I guess that's impossible with a metroplitan city.

I have been to many dive destinations and I have been diving tioman for years. I still enjoy my trips to Tioman and still do a few trips each year

nuswhl:
No matter how "bad" Tioman is, it's still zillion times better than Singapore's local waters. So Tiaoman will always be a popular site, no matter how much it is "talked down".
I wish Singapore had some great local waters. But I guess that's impossible with a metroplitan city.
Wait till the "Marina Bay" at Tekek Village is completed. Tioman is Singapore in the making :)

Oh dear.. and here i am planning to see if I can drive up from Singapore to Tioman over the Chinese New Year holidays to practice my new diving skills..

Is visibility/conditions that bad over monsoon? I know Tioman isn't the Borocays or Burma Banks but there should still be some thing to see right?

There would be something to see but no boats would take you out to dive in Tioman during the monsoon season. The earliest I have ever dived there is 14 February. Nice diving but VERY rough seas, surge even at 18 meters, low viz (~5 meters) and we had to dive in only a few selected sheltered spots.

Really, I think you would have to take your own tanks and compressor and do shore dives if you are crazy enough.

Back
Top Bottom