Diving in winter months

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much does winter(cold water temps)slow you down from diving in the continental US?

You'll get a wide range of answers for the wide range of winter water temps in the "continental US".

For drysuit divers here in the NE, I'll bet water temp isn't the biggest factor even though it drops to the mid-30's.

For me, vis and topside weather and sea conditions have become more important, and frequent winter storms make those pretty bad here in the NE.

New England winter weather seems to be keeping me out of the water more and more the last few years.... :D

Dave C

It slows down tremendously for me. From averaging a dive every other day to maybe 1 or 2 per month.

Winter weather can mess up the conditions and also demands time be spent on snow clean-up. The decline in algae can also bring some of the best visibilities. Many buddies including my wife call it quits when the water hits 50F and those that do dove also have other sports such as snow skiing competing for free time. The critters become very scarce so that reduces the motivation. Freshwater sites are frozen over and only good for ice diving. Ocean sites can become unaccessible too. Last year preparing for some warm water trips conflicted with some possible local dives. And of course there are the holidays and preparations for those. All in all there are a lot of things stacked against me when it comes to frequent winter diving.

Oh, and I do need time to work with my snowblower collection!

Variety is healthy

Pete

Only to the fact my boat has to be out of the water by Oct. 31st so I become dependant on my buddies boat/schedule.

I usually stop when the lakes or river freeze over, except this year, college has ruled out diving for this semester. Also, I don't have dry gloves so my hands get bitter cold.

I like to dive Yellowstone Lake, but the snow prevents easy access. The Missouri River doesn't freeze over as easily (when it does it is way to cold outside, well below zero) however, if there is snow or ice along the edge it makes it very difficult & hazardous to crawl out of the water.

C

December will probably not find me in the water. I've been holding my head underwater in the kitchen sink to compensate. :shakehead: So far, no buoyancy problems. :D

There's some potential for limited diving in January and February, but I really don't anticipate much other than pool work.

For me is slows during the winter but does not stop. I have dived in Wisconsin 12 month of the year, but ice and fewer buddies slows it quite a bit.

Most of it depends on how good your surface support is. I've been very fortunate to dive with a group from my university alma mater which provides excellent surface accomodations. (warm food, ez-up tents, :coffee:, changing area, etc.) Just got into dry suit diving, so that should help make my winter diving that much more enjoyable too! :D

Most of it depends on how good your surface support is. I've been very fortunate to dive with a group from my university alma mater which provides excellent surface accomodations. (warm food, ez-up tents, :coffee:, changing area, etc.)

Hmm, sounds a lot like a group I dive with... :D

How much does winter(cold water temps)slow you down from diving in the continental US?

Do most of my "Continental US" diving here in NJ, and as long as I don't have to cut a hole in the top of the ocean to get in the water I'm diving!

Besides, if "cold water" slowed down my diving I'd only be going out July, August, and September anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom