Diving Mozambique & Aliwal Shoals in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a Aliwal - Tofo trip in december last year. Really really good diving, both aliwal and tofo. You should definetly do the tiger shark diving while diving aliwal (baited dive) There are plenty of whalesharks in tofo in december along with mantas. I really liked tofo and im going back there in July for the humpback season :)

Thanks for all your help. I decided to cut out Bazarruto area and just stay in Tofo for a week and then head down to Aliwal & Protea.
Ive booked Diversity Scuba in Tofo.
Now I need to find some good operators in SA in those two places.
Any proposals from you guys would be much appreciated! Thanks

Also is there the potential to see whalesharks at that time in Tofo?

Yes. I was in Paindane in December 2014 (very close to Tofo) and happened across a whale shark on the way to our dive site. The diving around the Tofo area is fantastic, though I've heard there aren't as many Manta Rays as there once were (Manta Reef is, or was, a world class dive site for seeing them). As for transportation, the dive shop associated with Paindane Beach Lodge (there's more than one in the vicinity) has been willing to pick us up from Inhambane airport in the past. If you make reservations, that's something you can negotiate for. I don't know what flights can be chartered into there, though.

Flights can be chartered into the airport at Vilanculos and there's an airstrip on Bazaruto and Benguerra with charter flights. I don't know what's on Bazaruto itself, but have been to Benguerra (a swim away from Bazaruto). We chartered a boat to take us to Benguerra. There is camping and a very upscale resort on the island.

Can't comment on Ponta do Oura or Aliwal Shoals.

Driving the roads in Mozambique can be very hazardous and if you choose to attempt it, I'd strongly suggest driving by day and not at night. Bad drivers combined with poor road conditions can make for a very nerve wracking trip. I would not suggest taking a bus. The bus drivers are insane and I've seen more than one bus get into a head-on collision with a truck along the EN1 (the road connecting the South and North of Mozambique).

I've generally found Mozambique to be otherwise fairly safe from a personal security standpoint. Keep personal belongings secured so they don't get stolen, but I don't hear of much violent crime in the tourist areas.

South African roads are much safer than Mozambique, though there's a lot more violent crime. Be very aware of your surroundings, especially as a female traveling alone. If you have a rented car, keep it locked at all times, even while driving. Watch for suspicious individuals at intersections. Carjackings are common. Use wisdom in where you choose to go at what times of day. Not all of South Africa is this way, but the major cities are, from my experience. I don't want to exaggerate the risk and scare you off. Just be aware of it so you have a good trip. It's not safe like Germany :)

I'd take 5 weeks. I was there for 3 weeks and it wasn't nearly enough, granted it's home for me so I could've stayed forever. Plan on one destination per week, unless you like to be very busy.

I've just dived Vilankulos, Tofo and Zavora. To be honest I was a little underwhelmed with 2 mile reef, Bazaruto. The coral is nice and you see the usual suspects swimming, OK vis etc but it was a little pedestrian. Tofo was fantastic though, great range of sites and humpback whales galore. I suspect that July/August may the best time for conditions there but you get more Mantas in summer.

I've never dived the far south coast of Mozambique, heard it is good - but as a few others have said the place will be over run by folks from across the border which may or may not suit everyone.

I wouldn't underestimate diving in South Africa though. Aliwal Shoal is a little hit and miss but on a good day right up there with the best. South Africa is excellent value for money and you'll spend half the amount you'd spend in Mozambique. You could do a lot worse than hanging out in in Kwa Zulu Natal, with a car you could have a great time with diving, Drakensburg mountains, self drive safaris in Hluhuwe (sorry about the spelling), Mkhuze etc.

I can recommend Blue Ocean Dive resort in Umkomaas

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 02:50 AM ----------

Hi, I was there last week. I thought Vilankulos was average. I cant recommend Tofo enough, great diving, beautiful beach, laid back vibe (perhaps Bali in the 1960's). I think you've booked yourself a good trip there. I've just dived with Diversity, they were really good. I can recommend Blue Ocean Dive resort in Umkomaas. Get yourself a car so you can see the Drackensburg mountains and game parks.

Zavora is also very cool. I just stayed at a fantastic place called Doxa there. Also check out Inhambane near Tofo, very cool town

Awesome tips guys! Thanks! I decide to cut out Bazaruto. Am going to Tofo for a week 8sounds like I will have to go back though in July August for the humpbacks!) and the down to Protea Banks, as it seems it will be hammerhead season. Then maybe Aliwal. Am going to try and catch the leatherbacks hatching in St Lucia too. Cant wait!!

Back
Top Bottom