Diving natural bottom / reefs in PCB area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove a set of natural rocks/ledges in Destin. I can't remember the name of it, but it was maybe 4-6 miles out. (close enough that ScubaTech would run to it).

While it wasn't super exciting as some of the tropical locations, it was a good dive site....

I'll see if I can look it up when I get home and figure out the name.

Most likely what you dove was either Anchor Rock or White Hill Reef. Both of these are in the vicinity of the Destin Liberty ship and are often done as a one, two drop.

White Hill:

30-19.017 086-34.990

Anchor Rock(s):

30-18.856 086-36.244
30-18.801 086-36.122

Shark Alley (vicinity of the BR):

30-20.914 086-28.435

Dive at your own risk, I take no responsibility for accuracy of my marks.

N

Damn Rodman, long time no see bud!

Hey Mat!

Now that dive season is coming around again, I'm bound to be lurking around more and more! I do spend most of my time on Spearboard.com and Spearfishingplanet.com but sill make my way over to SB.

We are prepping for our first dive of the season this Sunday. Hope to bring home some dinner! :)

We need to get up sometime, bud!

Most likely what you dove was either Anchor Rock or White Hill Reef. Both of these are in the vicinity of the Destin Liberty ship and are often done as a one, two drop.

White Hill:

30-19.017 086-34.990

Anchor Rock(s):

30-18.856 086-36.244
30-18.801 086-36.122

Shark Alley (vicinity of the BR):

30-20.914 086-28.435

Dive at your own risk, I take no responsibility for accuracy of my marks.

N

Very possible but I forgot to check the log last night. I think it had a slightly different name but that's common for different folks to call sights by slightly different names.

Might have been Amberjack Rocks. I've been there with ScubaTech. I'm not sure where that ledge is but we came back to the bridge rubble for dive #2.

The "reef" was a long crack in the bottom with no more than a 3' rise on one side. Lots of fish there for what it looked like.

Here is GulfGulper above the reef:

crack.jpg

Here are fish above the reef:

crackabove.jpg

Here is stuff in the reef:

crackin.jpg

What I call Amberjack probably would not be dove in conjunction with the Liberty ship. I heasitate to provide other numbers.

Yes, names have changed over time for some features, some always had more than one name, divers sometimes call an area one thing and fisherman another. The names I use were common in the 60s and 70s. I could be wrong but it is my observation that critters including fish prefer natural bottom to artificial reef structures including wrecks.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom