Diving nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good point
I will definitely make sure i go out on a bunch of charters with different shops to see what everyone has to offer I am also hoping to go to Kingston and a few other places in Ontario so if you have a charter you would recommend jjones that would be great
Thanks again guys your all really helping me get a realistic prospective on this (I have only dove down south and the cost was more then 65.00 for a 2 tank dive for 65 I understand exactly what you saying) maybe I can still do this with out changing the rate?

Thanks again
Mael

I feel it will be a niche do to the walk on aspect also my intentions are to make a more comfortable and relaxing experience(no hard bench's here lol)a small cabin up front hang out there treat my boat like you are an old friend of mine out for a dive with me use my fridge have some coffee tea what ever you like on business start up I would be getting a day cruiser boat not a cattle boat I would have a local hired captain who knows the area and yes so that I can also do what I want to do..... dive.

Glad to see you're doing your homework. I dive nitrox and have my own tanks. I do it more for the added safety than extra bottom time. For more BT I'd need bigger tanks.
As for comfort, I've dove from a number of different boats, mostly Kingston, as well as growing up around boats and spending a lot of time on them over the years. Hard seats or padded, doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. How the boat rides and how easy to get off and reboard are the biggies. My personal preference is a slower trawler style hull (Big Jim's in Kingston comes to mind). Smaller, fast boats, skinny enough to trailer, roll like crazy in any kind of seas, making comfort somewhat questionable. And a lot of the water around Toby is exposed. One big hurdle might be dock space. The existing fleet pretty much occupies the diver friendly space.
If you are diving you're own boat up that area this summer and looking for passengers, drop me a PM.

hey all
once again thank you all very much for your continued participation in helping me gain better understanding of this.
so I'm getting that I would have to be the same price as everyone else but having more comfort and the best service I can provide may help me get a small percentage of the divers to use my boat.
now my other question would be are the other charters more then willing to go out to the farther wreck or do divers tend to just get in the water faster and there for want to go to the closer more used wrecks?

jjones I'm defiantly going to go out with the guys you suggested but is their a best time for diving in Kingston IE wet suit as opposed to dry suit I'm looking for the warmest time to dive also when i go it will probably be during the week so if your available your absolutely invited.

groundhog you will be definitely PMed but only if i can pick your brain about this stuff ill provide the first round or two though.

Anytime, on or off the water. I'm always ready to discuss boats, diving and anywhere they overlap.

I also wouldn't want to pay extra for a charter, I already find the $65 expensive. And I suspect people with lots of extra money to throw around probably have their own boats. Just my opinion though..

jjones I'm defiantly going to go out with the guys you suggested but is their a best time for diving in Kingston IE wet suit as opposed to dry suit I'm looking for the warmest time to dive also when i go it will probably be during the week so if your available your absolutely invited.

Since its the lake the bottom stays relatively cold year round, with a thermocline around 50ft. Your best bet is mid to late August for the warmer water.

Getting to the farther out wrecks is a matter of weather conditions. The heavier boats which can handle rougher water are also slower, which means heading out the the farther wrecks is an all day affair. The smaller ones are faster, but need the water to be calm. Basically if the lake if flat, the smaller boats take the opportunity, but its only luck if you are there that day. This past summer had a few weeks where the conditions were amazing and runs were made to the Frontenac, Katie Eccles, Sheboygan, etc.

Unfortunatley I'll be out of the country for 9 months beginning in April/May, so I won't be able to accompany you, but thanks for the offer.

jjones
if you could go out to the farther out wrecks when ever you wanted though is it worth the all day affair on a nicer comfy boat?

thanks Mael
to bad your away but ill end up in Kingston more then once I'm thinking

groundhog ill definitely pm you when I go

If I was guaranteed to get to the farther out wrecks, I would love it, and wouldn't mind paying the extra to get there. I believe the Kingston boats charge $70 to go to these when they can.

Back
Top Bottom