Diving off Ko Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JLN

New
Reaction score
Would anyone nice enough to advise me on small high quality dive shops on Phi Phi.
If you stay in the northwest area resorts on Phi Phi(Phi Phi Island Village) is there a road to the main area in town, I do not see a road going there on Google Earth? Do you take water taxi's around, or will the dive shops come pic you up. Still trying to decide where to stay, and who to dive with.

Thank you guys so much for your time to give me advice.

Things have changed thee so much since I visited in 2001 before the tsunami. I wish I were up-to-date on what shops have reopened and what accommodations are rebuilt. When I was there I dove with VISA Scuba and had a very good time with them. There seem to be a number of good shops, but when I walked through town checking them all out, the staff at VISA at the time gave me what I considered were the best answers.

I stayed at a group of cottages on the southern edge of town (Chung Khao bungalows) which were a little pricey but nice. I lived there the entire 2+ weeks I was on Phi Phi.

Sorry I can't offer any more than that... I haven't been back to Thailand since that trip, although would love to return.

hi there jln , if you gonna stay at phi phi island village you can dive with the divecenter from the resort or you have to take a watertaxi to bring you to tonsai bay
early in the morning because there is no road from the phi phi island side to tonsai bay .
there are 15 divecenters at tonsai bay so plenty of choice take a walk around to take a look at a few and then make up your mind , i work for moskito diving so when you get to phi phi come to say hello .
greetings walter

Would anyone nice enough to advise me on small high quality dive shops on Phi Phi.
If you stay in the northwest area resorts on Phi Phi(Phi Phi Island Village) is there a road to the main area in town, I do not see a road going there on Google Earth? Do you take water taxi's around, or will the dive shops come pic you up. Still trying to decide where to stay, and who to dive with.

JLN,

I was there about a year ago. Skip Tonsai Bay. It is overcrowded and full of backpackers. The Holiday Inn is located on Phi Phi in the quiet area nicely seperated from Tonsai Bay. I think your resort is a short walk away. Wayne runs the dive shop at the Holiday Inn with a quick speed boat. You can leave your gear at the shop to rinse after diving and enjoy a 20 minute ride to the best spots with a small group. Wayne has a knack for getting you in the water before or after the crowds. Well worth it IMO. I did not go this year. I went to Krabi and regret it now. I was at the Holiday Inn two years in a row. It is expensive so your resort may be a better deal, but the longtail boat rides for island hopping, great snorkeling, close proximty to the Bidas and the lack of crowds and backpackers makes it appealing to me. I think you can only do better if you go liveaboard. As my other half does not dive this location is ideal. You can leave for diving at 9-930am and come back a few hours later. You can even do some beach diving or snorkeling off a longtail boat once you get the lay of the land.

I like your resort. I may book for next New Year. If your in the area Wayne's shop is no brainer. There may be a good one at your resort, but the experience of diving with them for a week was great. Let us know what you wind up doing and how it was. What time of year are you going?

You should fill in your profile with experience and location so others can help you better.

Good luck,

AZ

Of course I enjoyed the backpacker community in Tonsai... since I was one.

I found that when I was diving with VISA there were dsays on the big boat that were a little crowded, and days of diving on the longtails where there were only a few divers. We didn't encounter that many other divers from other boats at the sites we went to.

Personally I wouldn't travel to another country and stay in a Holiday Inn or any other western hotel, but that's just my preference. My little sister would have it no other way.

That is your taste, no offense meant. I work hard for my money and happy to avoid the crowds. Being on a crowded beach in what has become a tourist trap is not that appealing to me. I am not a fan of Tonsai Bay, but then again I like to dive Pattaya as it so close to BKK (home for me). If your going to travel far from home, which is relative, go with what you like. The hotel JLN is referring to is way out of the price range for backpackers, so maybe that his what he/she wants. Just another perspective.

AZ

AZ, DrBill Thank you guys so much for the advice!!! AZ, I sent you a reply to the video site you sent me and ask you the questions you already answered above. I am coming to Thailand next week to a conference in Bangkok from the 15 throught the 19th. Reservations at the Shangri La at present because the Oriential would not let me have 4 to a room. (two sons 15 and 22 as well as my wife) I would love the experience of staying in the Oriental but the price of 2 rooms instead of one is way over the budget. Is the Shangri la Ok? are there much better "Thai" hotels on the river. I was trying to stay in a hotel that would have a great Thai feel. Where do you eat on Phi Phi. Do you go around to Tonsai bay for food? Can the long boats travel at night? Thank you so much for your kind help. Jim

I doubt JLN is going to fit in with the backpackers if he's trying to decide between the Shangrila and the Oriental.

Another thumbs up for the Holiday Inn. We stopped for lunch while on a day trip from Phuket on the Offspray. The pools were huge and lots of quiet time.

For Bangkok, I think the Peninsular and the Hilton across the river are quite nice or the Sheraton further up the river is not too shabby either. None of the hotels here will be particularly "Thai" except for the whiff of raw sewage when you dine next to the river. Try the Sukhothai or the Four Seasons Regent if you prefer traditional "Thai" accomodations with lush gardens and a spacious feel.

I dove with Viking Divers and enjoyed them. I think Phil is still there. I was there just a year after the Tsunami, so things were slow compared to before. Still a little more active than I care for, but the dive boats were not crowded. I did my AOW there and some fun dives too. Usually I was just buddied with the instructor or DM. A few times there was a third in our group.

I stayed in Hotel Phi Phi which was basic and pretty cheap. I like hanging out with the backpackers although I do like to have my own room.

Enjoy your time!

I doubt JLN is going to fit in with the backpackers if he's trying to decide between the Shangrila and the Oriental.

I agree! The Holiday Inn or your original choice sounds more fitting based on your choices thus far. Lucky you! I stayed there for a job fair a few years ago. You will be near the BTS (sky train) so getting around will be easy. Consider booking a day trip to the old capital. Thai Boxing and well, maybe Soi Cowboy for a truly unique Thai experience for your 22 year old. Just kidding :)

One of my student's parents own The Eugenia I have never been there, but it looks great. If the price is okay it may be right for what you are looking for. It will be more Thai than the big hotels you are looking at. If you stay, let me know what you think.

On Phi Phi there is a local Thai village and restaruants. You can take a longtail to Tonsai if you wish. I think they run at night. Some others would be better to comment. Are you the only one diving?

Good luck,

AZ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom