Diving on chemo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not an oncologist, but I am a cancer survivor.

Mine was testicular - like Lance Armstrong's - which is to say that my cancer was very different from yours. After surgery, I was supposed to be given cisplatin, bleomycin, and etopocide to treat the masticization into my lymph nodes. When told that the bleomycin would permenantly alter my lungs, I told the doctor that I'd rather be dead than never dive again (I am a commercial diver, so it was my livelihood).

The doctor altered my treatments to exclude the bleomycin - a much tougher, longer regimen with just the two remaining drugs.

I never stopped diving, despite the doctor's advice. Annoyingly, my SAC rate went through the roof and diving was truly difficult and fatiguing... In a way that I can't possibly communicate.

My personal experience was that diving was actually GOOD for me... It improved my attitude (so much a part of fighting the disease) and I believe that the O2 saturation was very good for my body. Risk? You betcha. But when fighting cancer, what bigger risk is there? What was I gonna do - die? Heck, I was already shaking hands with the Grim Reaper... So I took him diving.

Looking back, I wouldn't do anything differently. Maybe dive more. :)

I did all I could possibly do, though... Maybe two dives in my four months of chemo "blast." No hair - not even an eyelash. I dropped from 238 lbs to 171 lbs in six weeks. Dive? Heck, if I could fall off the boat and into the water, I was diving. :)

Doc didn't like it, of course... But he did smile, as he pumped me full of poison and saline to keep me from drying up. Maybe he thought I was a fool. But I was lookin' at my gauges, and my "DON'T CARE" meter was in the red. :)

My cancer - and treatment - was very different than yours. If you want to go diving, I'd tell you that *I* would... But that's a call you have to make on your own. Just 'cause I got away with it doesn't mean that you will - your cancer and treatment are different than mine.

What you let cancer take from you is a decision you have to make for yourself.

'Nough said. :)

The new boobs I am planning on getting will keep me afloat!!! Peace, Kathy

Way to go, Kathy. :)

They don't really float, by the way. My girl's got an augmentation (not from cancer), and they didn't change her bouyancy at all.

But I have a lot of respect for you having a positive attitude about reconstruction. You SHOULD have a positive attitude about it - let's face it, many people have the surgery done for cosmetic purposes only (not because of cancer) - which is to say that in the long run you'll have new parts that I'm sure you (and your hubby) will probably be very happy with! Your friends will be jealous... :) HIS friends might, too! :)

...Which is the best way I know of to look at this.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. :) And let's face it - apparently younger-looking and more attractive, too. You've got a lot to look forward to, Kathy. :)

You can do this. You'll be fine. I'll be cheering you on. :luxhello:

Cancer may have taken a part of you - but the part that grows back is much more valuable than what you lost. Make sure to give the disease a big, fat shiner for having messed with you... Then grow and join the rest of us survivors - the toughest people on the planet. Those who faced it and gave "The Big C" a black eye.

Do you know how chemo works? This is no lie... Chemo drugs are poison... That is, they kill you. They are constantly killing you while you're on them. They kill you, they kill the cancer, and they kill everything that they come in contact with. The clincher is, though, that you're a little tougher than cancer. So while chemo kills you, the cancer dies before you do... And just before your body quits, they stop chemo and bring you back to life... Usually cancer-free. How's that for tough? Tougher than cancer.

I might get that as a tattoo... "Tougher than cancer." :)

You'll be fine, Kathy. Sock it to it. :)

Last edited:
I have stage 4 breast cancer. Bone mets in spine, pelvis, sternum, and also liver. In 5th of 6 months regimen of Avastin, Taxol, Zometa. Then month off, then surgery(ies.) Then most likely Avastin for ??????

Hi kathywynne,

This is a significantly more complicated clinical picture than that portrayed in the initial inquiry and suggests the wisdom to limiting oneself to snorkeling at least until treatment is concluded.

Regarding the Bard Power Port, it has been okayed for swimming by the manufacturer. You can direct any questions to them at 1-800-545-0890/sic.cs@crbard.com.

The snorkeler will need to take precautions against undue pressure upon the device by gear (e.g., wetsuits), prevent against abrasion or irritation of the skin at and around the port site, and watch closely for signs of infection (especially when on a regimen of antineoplastic agents causing immunosuppression). Check out AquaGuard for any tubing or other port-related gear that would to be better affixed to the body for stabilization and protection during snorkeling.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

The snorkeler will need to take precautions against undue pressure upon the device by gear (e.g., wetsuits), prevent against abrasion or irritation of the skin at and around the port site, and watch closely for signs of infection (especially when on a regimen of antineoplastic agents causing immunosuppression).

This is especially true for thinner individuals who do not have enough body fat. Sometimes there is nothing but skin overlying the port, and I have seen them erode through the skin. If that happens, they are VERY susceptible to infection which nearly always results in their need to be removed and replaced.

Hi Kathy,

I just read this series of posts and was wondering how you are doing and if you have started back diving yet. I was diagnosed with lung cancer last May and also have a Bard Power Port. I'm feeling good and we are going on a dive trip in May. My Dr told me last May that the Power Port was good to 90', however I wasn't breathing well enough last year to safely dive. That was then and now I am back to normal activities so it is time to get wet once again. I was looking around on the net for others that were diving with the port to see of any issues anyone reported. Your post was the ONLY one I found in reference to diving, so was wondering where you were in this.

Donna

Hi lazybees,

Kathy's last post to this board was on December 21, 2009. She last signed in on January 6, 2010.

As such, you may wish to email or PM her.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This post is just for the benefit of others, as I realize Kathy is no longer posting. We did indeed go to Bonaire in May and I was able to dive with the power port. 80' was the deepest I registered and no problems with the port. I never knew it was there except when some real physical exertion was required and then it was not a problem.

My biggest problem was that I was way out of shape due to doing little physically for the last year. This caused my stamina to be quite low and had to alter my diving accordingly. However, by the end of the 2nd week, I was pretty much back in the groove and by the time we left at the end of 3 weeks, no problemo.

Like with any other physical ailment, we were mum with any dive shops and kept a shirt on anytime the port would have been obvious as a conversation piece. So, any of you doing chemo, wanting to dive....talk with your doctor. My doctor was totally OK with it and it worked out well for me. My meds were not contraindicated to the activity. Yours could be different.

Hi lazybees,

Glad the trip went well for you.

RE:
Like with any other physical ailment, we were mum with any dive shops and kept a shirt on anytime the port would have been obvious as a conversation piece. So, any of you doing chemo, wanting to dive....talk with your doctor. My doctor was totally OK with it and it worked out well for me. My meds were not contraindicated to the activity. Yours could be different.
. The following may be worth a read:

"Are you untruthful when completing diving medical questionnaires?

[The below is courtesy of the Jan '10 issue of Undercurrent Scuba Diving Magazine, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts, Liveaboards, & Diving Gear. I took this position because it was my assignment, but yet agree it's a topic open to lively debate.]

The World Recreational Training Scuba Council (WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council), of which PADI, SSI, SDI, IDEA, ACUC and DAN, amongst others, are members, is dedicated to the worldwide safety of the recreational diving public. It encourages members to use a standard medical statement before offering training or diving (http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/RSTCMedStatementGeneric.pdf).

The below is courtesy of the Jan '10 issue of Undercurrent. I took this position because it was my assignment, but yet agree it's a topic open to lively debate.

"Lying About Your Health Could Be Lethal -- our medical expert tells you why you shouldn’t fib to dive shops

Last month, we published reader comments about how much, if any, health information you disclose on the dive shop medical questionnaire. A surprising number of you say you keep mum. I saw many of the reasons you gave for why as having merit. DocVikingo, a frequent Undercurrent contributor, is less inclined to accept such untruthfulness. Here’s his opinion:

Scuba diving, perceived by much of the non-diving public as risky if not outright dangerous, has avoided government meddling to an astonishing degree. Regulation by federal, state and local governments has been avoided largely because the dive industry polices itself. This includes common practices like asking divers to complete a medical history questionnaire before training or a taking a dive trip. This self-policing has benefited divers by giving them freedom to dive whenever, however and with whomever they choose. Much of this is obviously due to divers adhering to industry practices. But when it comes to being forthright in completing medical questionnaires, it’s sometimes a different story.

When Undercurrent asked readers about whether they disclose medical conditions to dive operators, a surprising number of you replied that you didn’t, for fear of an operator not permitting you to dive. But I’m with much of the dive industry and medical experts in believing it’s a mistake not to tell the truth about your health. It could cost you your life, and possibly the lives of the buddies and guides you’re diving with.

The risks are real. For example, Divers Alert Network’s annual report on dive-related accidents and deaths routinely indicates that cardiovascular events cause 20 to 30 percent of all fatalities. Moreover, medications like tranquilizers, antidepressants and narcotic pain relievers and certain cardiac and respiratory drugs that cause no problems topside may act differently at depth, and may combine with or increase nitrogen narcosis, resulting in significantly impaired thinking and behavioral control.

“The Diver’s Responsibility, not the Dive Center’s”

Consider this tale sent in by an Undercurrent reader about a Bahamas dive he did last June. One of his fellow divers was a 68-year-old woman who looked physically fit and at least a decade younger. However, during the first dive, one of the divemasters had approached her at 75 feet, motioning for her to ascend a bit but she kept descending. At 100 feet, the divemaster physically tried to force the woman to ascend but was pushed away. He partially inflated the woman’s BCD but she immediately dumped the air through her shoulder valve. Another divemaster then descended to 170 feet and could see the woman’s bubble line starting well below his depth. He used the backup tanks suspended below the boat to decompress from the extreme depth. The woman’s body was never found.

Our reader later learned through a mutual acquaintance that the woman had had a minor stroke the month before that Bahamas dive. “There has been considerable speculation about the cause of her actions and subsequent disappearance,” he wrote us. “While we may never know for certain, the leading theories are that she either got nitrogen narcosis at 70 feet, or suffered a stroke and became confused and disoriented. If she had a transient. ischemic attack, or TIA, (a ‘warning stroke’ or ‘mini-stroke’ that produces stroke-like symptoms but no lasting damage.) the month prior, my medical friends indicate it is dubious she would have received a physician’s clearance to dive. There are generally other underlying medical issues, and a greatly increased risk of suffering another stroke after a ‘minor’ TIA stroke.”

Out of curiosity, our reader e-mailed PADI and asked about its fitness-to-dive policy. The reply: “While dive students are required to complete a medical history questionnaire before participating in any PADI courses, PADI diving facilities are not required to medically screen all of their customers. Divers learn during their training that, after certification, they must always ensure that they are medically fit for diving before doing so. This is the diver’s responsibility rather than the dive center’s.”

Because so many of you readers admit that you are untruthful on the medical release, we wondered if dive medicine experts did the same, just to avoid the hassle of dealing with dive operators who have far less medical knowledge. Ern Campbell, M.D., a.k.a. ScubaDoc, said that even if he had a condition he feared may prevent a dive operation from taking him on board, he still “would disclose the condition to the operator and expect an appropriate explanation of any denial to dive.” Dr. Michael Bennett, president of the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society, told us: “I believe the medical risks of diving are real and present a threat to my well-being. Therefore, I would not be selfish enough to cheat and put my fellow divers at risk when they might be called upon to save me!”

Drugs Work Differently Underwater

Common reader statements we received included, “I’m capable of monitoring my own medical problems” and “I don’t pose a danger.” In many cases, such assertions are not accurate. For example, common conditions like asthma, diabetes and seizures may appear well-managed but can unexpectedly and rapidly spiral out of control. When they do so underwater, the results can be deadly. The altered environment in diving (e.g., water that’s cooler than body temperature, exertion, increased partial pressures of gases) can precipitate relapses. The fact is the potential effects of such changes upon most medical conditions -- and the drugs used to control them -- are not known with certainty.

Other readers responded along the lines of, “What does the dive op know about the implications of my medical issues for scuba?” The answer is, “Probably very little.” This is why the shop can quite reasonably ask you to report your medical status, and may require a signed clearance to dive from a physician who does understand the implications. Remember, if a dive crew is unaware of your medical disorders, appropriate treatment could be substantially delayed.

In a related vein, some readers believed that a dive operator asking for such personal information was in violation of their right to medical privacy. Actually, it isn’t. The privacy provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) are binding on healthcare insurers, providers and facilities, not dive operators and training agencies. You voluntarily waive your “right” to keep your medical information private when you contract for dive certification or a two-tank dive. It is the operator’s perfect right to ask the diver to be honest regarding medical conditions that could mean additional risks to the business, other customers and the diver himself. There is nothing illegal, unethical or inappropriate about this. From a liability standpoint, dive businesses would be insane not to.

You’re not the Only Diver on the Boat

Perhaps the lamest of the excuses was, “It’s my life and my choice to dive with a disease.” This might be arguable if you are an unemployed solo diver without family or friends. However, if you are diving with a dive operator and other customers, then your fitness to dive most assuredly is of concern to them.

When you are less than honest in revealing your medical status, not only could you as the diver be harmed, but so could your buddy, divemaster or others who risk their lives to save yours. Karl Huggins, program director of the University of Southern California’s Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber, says that if individuals “... knowingly conceal these conditions once they know what the risks are, it’s not just themselves they’re putting at risk but also those who may need to respond to them in an emergency situation.” He goes on to say, “Divers may rationalize that ‘It’s my life and I can assume any risk I want because the damage I do, I do to myself.’ But when they’re paralyzed and can’t do their job or function normally in their work and personal lives, is it just themselves they’re affecting?”

Not to mention that you could cause a dive trip to be aborted for everyone, possibly on an expensive liveaboard in a far-flung location, because the crew needs to rush you to medical care. Under these conditions, liveaboards make no refunds to any divers on the itinerary. If you’re lucky enough not to expire from your previously undisclosed medical condition, you might be thrashed to death by the other passengers.

If and when enough divers lie, incidents will occur and they eventually will catch the government’s eye. When that happens, laws will be passed, like requirements of medical exams before receiving dive training and mandatory completion of a medical history form in Australia, Malta and other locations. A number of preventable diver deaths due to medical reasons have occurred in Australia’s Queensland region over the past several years. Many were the result of divers being untruthful about their medical status and made news headlines. This resulted in the government considering even more rules and tighter enforcement. Do you want some random diver’s failure to disclose medical conditions that led to a dive accident or fatality to lead to tighter restrictions on your own dives?

You participate in recreational scuba on a voluntary basis. No one is forcing you to do it. It’s a recreational pastime, a fun thing to do. If you don’t like being asked to properly and truthfully complete a medical questionnaire, a practice intended to protect customers and the businesses that offer them scuba services, you don’t have to participate. You can find diversions with rules that better suit you and don’t require total disclosure of your medical history. Heaven knows there are dozens of them that don’t put you and others in such a potentially hazardous situation. - - DocVikingo"

Stay golden,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom