diving portage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Portage is, or will be sold shortly, (I think it has been sold) and get this--it's going to be filled in. This info came from Mike at Gilboa and he is usually on top of any news about his competition. I just heard this last fri. and don't have details as to who bought it or what it's going to turn into.

Wow :shocked2:

Wow :shocked2:

I got details!!! just got off the phone with Ian from Aqua Hut. They use Portage on a very regular basis for classes and other gatherings. Here' s the real scoop: The guy that owns the quarry still has two yrs. on his lease to Jeff for diving, but he is not making any money on the diving part of the property; however, he is making quite a bit of money on the camping and beach stuff. To add to the diving woes, just recently, material was dumped into the quarry that brought the viz down to about 2 or 3 ft. and it will be that way for some time. Ian feels that the diving part of the quarry is toast and will probably be shutting down, maybe after the season. With the recent visibility situation, maybe sooner. Who in the world wants to dive with 2 ft. viz? The camping and beach may still continue, but eventually the quarry will be filled in; possibly in 2 yrs. Ian is not sure what the ultimate destiny of the quarry will become.

I got details!!! just got off the phone with Ian from Aqua Hut. They use Portage on a very regular basis for classes and other gatherings. Here' s the real scoop: The guy that owns the quarry still has two yrs. on his lease to Jeff for diving, but he is not making any money on the diving part of the property; however, he is making quite a bit of money on the camping and beach stuff. To add to the diving woes, just recently, material was dumped into the quarry that brought the viz down to about 2 or 3 ft. and it will be that way for some time. Ian feels that the diving part of the quarry is toast and will probably be shutting down, maybe after the season. With the recent visibility situation, maybe sooner. Who in the world wants to dive with 2 ft. viz? The camping and beach may still continue, but eventually the quarry will be filled in; possibly in 2 yrs. Ian is not sure what the ultimate destiny of the quarry will become.

I just dove Portage three weeks ago. No kidding, 2-4 feet viz. The back wall has aggregate piled in the quarry. Jeff wasnt around, but Mike was and I asked him about the viz and the aggregate being piled into the quarry. Mike wouldnt say anything except all questions need to go to Jeff. So I think there must be something going on with the quarry.

Thats really a shame. Although I don't dive Portage much (only been there once), I really hate seeing dive locations close. It just makes it harder for people to enjoy the sport/hobby when there isn't convenient places to dive. :(

I dove Portage on 18 & 19 Aug. The viz was the best I had seen all summer. You could see from wing tip to wing tip on the plane. The water was 75 plus above the thermo and would drop after reacing 24' to 26'. I think the reason the viz was so good was due to the temp. It was cooler that it had been all summer long, and as a result the number of beach swimmers was real low. In other areas you were averaging about 25' normal viz and at one time I think the viz may have been as much as 50'.

Of course all the quarries are have lower viz than normal because the quarries never froze this year. This was first year that I can recall in a number of them where the quarries have not frozen for ice diving to occur.

Lately even White Star has had pretty bad visibility.

Ken

Consider White Star. The limestone tends to settle faster so even if the students or rain muck it up it's settled by the next morning.

Paula

---------- Post Merged at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Thats really a shame. Although I don't dive Portage much (only been there once), I really hate seeing dive locations close. It just makes it harder for people to enjoy the sport/hobby when there isn't convenient places to dive. :(

Agree. It was always another alternative, and a good site for an advanced class for one of their dive weekends, we always try and make each weekend a different location. Well, soon to be 1 fewer choice.

Just back from diving Portage Quarry again over Labor Day Weekend. The viz was 20 - 25 feet and the temp was 79 above the thermo is at 24 - 26 feet. Below that is got cool rather quickly so we stayed above it and used 3 mils without hood and gloves. Hopefully, we will get some COLD weather this week end whick will help all the quarries. This was the first time I can remember when no one could get under the ice in northern Ohio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom