Diving Protea Banks South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zakk30

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there!
I'm thinking of going next year to dive Protea Banks, and see some big sharks, in particularly Ragged Tooth Sharks. Dose anyone has been diving Protea Banks and can tell me what are the best months to see Ragged Tooths? Many thanks

I'm no local expert, but from diving Protea earlier this year it's my understanding July-August are the prime months, with a chance from May-November. I was disappointed to miss them in early May, but kept in touch with the dive operator I used (African Dive Adventures--would definitely recommend them) and when they suddenly arrived in great numbers in mid May, I went back. Had several dives with with likely 70 or more raggies, and, as they are really approachable, saw them really close up. Also saw lots of bull sharks, oceanic black tips, and a tiger shark...great destination and I know you'll enjoy it. Only drawback is sometimes the dives there can be "all or nothing"...either the best dive you've ever had or you can see next to nothing! The raggie dives are the exception to that..if they have already migrated in they are pretty much a guarantee

Cheers mate for this very useful info! Yeah I was looking to use African Dive Adventures as well so thanks for recomendation. The only thing is I will be able go to SA end of october so hopefully won't miss them!

no problem. if you have some extra time on your trip check out Aliwal by Umkomaas...just about an hour drive away...to experience a different dive environment but also see raggies and other sharks

I used to work on Protea Banks and ocdiver,s given you good info there. Yes it may be a bit hit or miss at that time for the ragged -tooth on Protea. October is a change of season (winter to summer) on the reef so it is less predictable. I'd try to do both Aliwal (their ragged-tooth season tends to be longer) and Protea Banks. Also try keep some flexibility to your itinerary so you can move between the sites if needs.

Thanks Ocean Africa for advice, most appreciated! Yeah I heard october can be a bit unpredictable but because of my work I don't have choice. Just booked my flights going first week of october and hopeing for the best :)! As for Aliwal I'm considering it as well probably will end up doing both.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip and Im sure you'll have some great dives. There are so many humpback whales passing at that time as well - just get out on the water and enjoy whatever comes you way !

There is also another Dive Centre /Charter in Shelly Beach that dive Protea Banks, with some great personal touches like hot showers etc.

Back
Top Bottom