Diving & Public Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear ways that some of you have combined diving & public service. For example, do you participate in organized cleanup efforts? Volunteer for search & recovery for local authorities? etc. Also, if you do something a bit unusual, how did you get involved?

Jim

Jim,

For years my club (me included) put the swim area marker buoys in for a local recreational area. & then removed them at the end of the summer. They now have a staff member who happens to be a diver so we aren't needed anymore.

We collect money for DAN at every meeting. & our holiday party 50/50 proceeds go to DAN as well.

Many of the divers in our club are safety divers for an annual hydroplane race here in Detroit. (Not me - I just don't have the vacation time to use in this manner.) This is a very unique way to volunteer. I'm not sure how they got started in it but one of our members is in charge of all volunteers and another the safety divers and rescue boats. Each year they refresh the unique rescue training needed and are then the rescue divers for the practice, trial runs and actual races. A notable reward is being able to do recreational dive in the Detroit River the week of the races.

I don't know much about this last volunteer effort but was always curious about it. A friend used to go on week+ trips to different places in the world as a part of a volunteer effort. Each trip had a purpose - counting some fish, marine plant or some such thing.
He really enjoyed it.

Paula
Who bleeds maize & blue!

Isnt it "go Blue & Maize???"

bmuise,

bmuise once bubbled...
Isnt it "go Blue & Maize???"

It's maize & blue! & it's Go Blue!

There isn't a location listed in your profile. You don't live in Lansing, do you?

Paula

The annual clean-up dives are actually lots of fun. They are a big event locally. And in some respects they have become treasure hunts for old anchors and antique bottles.

Is this the meeting of Diving Wolverine Fans anonymous? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom