Diving Speigel Grove in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deanmartin once bubbled...
The Duane and Bib are close by. I've been on the Duane several times. The Duane sits on her keel. The deck is about 100 fsw. Excellent dive. I've been told that trips to the Bib are rare.

Do you mean the Duane and Bibb are close to the SG?? They are a few miles apart, maybe even five miles. The Duane and Bibb are about 300 yards from each other.
The Bibb isn't dove as often (maybe 20 to 1) as the Duane because it lays on her side and Duane is a better dive just 300 yards away.

How long is the boat ride from Ocean Divers port to the Speigel Grove?

Thanks for the info deepstops... man I could get use to that. In SC if we want to do anything deeper that 100' we have to travel by boat 3-4 hours offshore....

Thanks again

You may want to give Blue Water Divers a call. I dove the Grove with them last week and they were great. What I liked best is if you request it ahead of time they will book the boat and tell everyone that you intend to do 2 dives on the Grove. Most other operators will only do one then take you to a shallow reef. Only takes one person to make the reservation for what they call a doubles deep dive (2 single tank dives). Rules are if one person does not want to do the second dive and prefers a shallow reef then they will move to the shallow reef but all are notified prior to the dive that the intent is to do 2 deep dives with 60 minute interval between them.

They are a great operation!

Kev

Ocean Divers runs larger boats and do all of the wrecks, the Grove, Duane and Bibb. They usually have a set schedule so when requesting make sure of your dates and be flexible. The Duane and Bibb are about 6 miles from the Grove and there are a few operators that will do 2 wreck dives on each trip depending on the qualifications of divers and requests. Some of the operations will cancel the dives on site if the conditions are more than they feel their customers will be able to handle or more than they want to handle. Run times to the sites is really immaterial as most operators will either give you limited times in the water or unlimited times dependent on their flexibility and what gas you're using. Might want to ask those questions up front. If you need a guide or want a guide check on the total you're going to pay for your trip and if you're going to be diving for more than a couple of trips ask for multi-day rates rather than single trip rates. Ask about cancellation policies and if the operator will put you on the wrecks regardless of the conditions or cancel if it's more advanced. You might want to ask how long the operators have been running these trips and how long their crews have been working. There is a great turnover in crews and it's not unusual to have more experience than the crew that's running your trip. If you're looking to maximize your time in the water check out Divers City in Tavernier. They're on the Ocean side and hit all of the wrecks including the Eagle on a regular basis. Prices are great and they've been doing this for about 10 years in Key Largo. Since you're getting promos from other dive ops we thought we'd throw in our .02 and give you some accurate information along with some other questions to ask. Good luck and safe diving.

Bluewater Divers are a great op to go with. They do the Spiegel and the Duane regulary and I'm sure if you request the Bibb they would make arrangements. Small op, not crowded and a great staff. Worth checking out. www.bluewaterdiver.net

Reeflover

I recommend Quiessence. Nice cozy 6-packs....no cattleboats. Quiessence has been around for a loooongg time and are well established. Decent hotel packages too nearby.

www.keylargodiving.com

I just got back from Key Largo where we finished our open water checkouts and then paid for a guide to dive the Grove. Fantastic dive, we had a good day with mild current and a flat ocean, the vis was 55' to 60' and the current on the mooring line was moderate, I could hold on at the safety stop at 15 ft. with one hand. We went out with Taverneir Dive Center. While they run a large boat, 24 divers, it is not run (IMHO)as a cattle boat, they put you in the water and let you do your own thing, but they will provide a guide if you wish. TDC does two single tank dives on the Grove since it's a hike for them to go out to the Grove (1.5 hours) since they are a bit south in Tavernier. I'll dive with them again, I really enjoyed the poeple and the service. Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom