Diving spots in/near Washington State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey! I'm doing a cross-country drive in a few months and, of course, want to work diving in somehow. Being that WA is on the coast and not incredibly far from other West Coast states, I figured there'd be something. But I'm not sure what. Any ideas of some really good places I shouldn't miss? Thanks!

Please see the dive planning doc in my signature for information on sites, finding buddies, and dive charters.

Hey! I'm doing a cross-country drive in a few months and, of course, want to work diving in somehow. Being that WA is on the coast and not incredibly far from other West Coast states, I figured there'd be something. But I'm not sure what. Any ideas of some really good places I shouldn't miss? Thanks!
There are definitely some amazing dive spots in and near Washington State, but the diving is not easy by any means. We have limited visibility and cold water throughout the year (the water is a little colder in the winter, but the visibility is normally better) and most of the diving is shore diving with sometimes challenging entrances. Most people that dive regularly here use drysuits, especially if you are looking at trying to do multiple dives in a day. The best spots are usually tide and current sensitive, so some local knowledge is good to have. But there are also some easier spots near Seattle that will help you get cold water experience in a safe (and hopefully consequence-free) environment. @wetb4igetinthewater's dive planning doc that he mentions above is a good start.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from diving up here, just trying to let you know that it takes some planning and discretion, especially if the dive count in your profile is accurate. You can DM me for more info if you would like.

There are definitely some amazing dive spots in and near Washington State, but the diving is not easy by any means. We have limited visibility and cold water throughout the year (the water is a little colder in the winter, but the visibility is normally better) and most of the diving is shore diving with sometimes challenging entrances. Most people that dive regularly here use drysuits, especially if you are looking at trying to do multiple dives in a day. The best spots are usually tide and current sensitive, so some local knowledge is good to have. But there are also some easier spots near Seattle that will help you get cold water experience in a safe (and hopefully consequence-free) environment. @wetb4igetinthewater's dive planning doc that he mentions above is a good start.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from diving up here, just trying to let you know that it takes some planning and discretion, especially if the dive count in your profile is accurate. You can DM me for more info if you would like.
My diving is all in the northeast, so visibility really sucks here too. And it’s cold. My open water checkout dive was extremely murky and I was freezing. 😂 my second was off the RI coast; I’d say 15 feet of visibility maybe?
So I have a little experience…not a whole lot, but it wasn’t crystal clear tropics. :)

My diving is all in the northeast, so visibility really sucks here too. And it’s cold. My open water checkout dive was extremely murky and I was freezing. 😂 my second was off the RI coast; I’d say 15 feet of visibility maybe?
So I have a little experience…not a whole lot, but it wasn’t crystal clear tropics. :)
Sounds like you won't be surprised here then. We can definitely help you find the best diving opportunities for you when you make it out to the PNW.

Just to give you a little context... My dive last night at Redondo (Des Moines, WA) looking for sixgill sharks was 55°F water temp and 10-15 ft visibility at depth (about 5 ft viz in the shallows) -- that was considered good conditions this time of year, but if you come in a few months, it will likely be 10-20ft viz at all depths and 50°F or so water temp.

All that is too cold.

You can always detour several hundred miles southerly.

All that is too cold.

You can always detour several hundred miles southerly.
If you mean southerly on the West Coast, the same conditions apply all the way down the coast. Diving in San Diego in October a couple years ago, viz was down to 5 feet due to surge and water temp was 53°F. The next day was better viz (like 20 ft) but the water was just as cold. Same conditions are true from my experience diving in Monterrey in August and September.

Depends on where you are going. Edmonds Dive Park is amazing, but you need to benup for some long surface swims.
My favorite spot is Rosario Beach at Deception Pass. It's an easy beach entry and tons of life. I'm actually headed out there this afternoon.

If you want an easy but cool non-overhead wreck dive there is one in Lake Whatcom.

What is the experience you want to have?

If you mean southerly on the West Coast, the same conditions apply all the way down the coast. Diving in San Diego in October a couple years ago, viz was down to 5 feet due to surge and water temp was 53°F. The next day was better viz (like 20 ft) but the water was just as cold. Same conditions are true from my experience diving in Monterrey in August and September.
No. I mean detour until you find 85 deg water and 100'+ viz.

There are a few places on the other side of the Caribbean Sea.

No. I mean detour until you find 85 deg water and 100'+ viz.

There are a few places on the other side of the Caribbean Sea.
if I had a ton of money, that wouldn't even be a question- I'd be packing my bags right now! haha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom