Diving Tables???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what each school uses but there are different tables (or better different tables based on different research/models).

Basically the thoughts behind the tables are based on emperical data and/or mathematical approximations of fysiology models.

you have Haldanean, Buhlman, US Navy, RGBM, etc. Haldenean and US navy are mostly emperical where they basically used live subjects under pressure and pulled them up, saw what was happening and build tables/models on that. Buhlman, RGBM and others nowadays have mathimatical approximations of human fysiology.

So what does this mean for day to day diving?
If you use different tables you will have diferent times spent in water. If you stay within NDL the differences are somewhat minimal, barring added safety (conservatism). If all dives are done within NDL, I would chose the tables that get me out of the water quickest.

If you do go outside of NDL, then things are a bit different.

Gotta agree with the Zeeman! The manual for the wheel may be 80 pages but alot of that is practice exercises. I never leave home without mine. On deep dives, or dives with extended bottom time, as well as solo I carry it in my bc pocket. For me it's faster than the tables and more accurate. All it takes is a little practice and maybe a little instruction for some. I picked mine up with reading and doing the exercises and about 1/2 hour of more or less review with my instructor. I have seen those who get really screwed up with it because they make it more complicated than it is.

Price of wheel vs computer=buy the computer and be done with it. Dive computers will give you more time safely, and you don't have to keep interfacing with it.
Bill

What ever happened to the older Naui table that I used in the late 80's and early 90's? It was square and had three small square tables with which to calculate your residual nitrogen group.

I picked up a newer Naui table without really taking a look at it recently. The thing is crap. There is no group calculation. It is completely arbitrary and not flexible. The kicker is that underneath the Naui sign it says "safety through education".
How is this table providing me with any sort of education?

While on the subject of dive tables, what do people reccomend for decompression diving or multiple deeper dives in a single day?

spacemanspiff1974:
While on the subject of dive tables, what do people reccomend for decompression diving or multiple deeper dives in a single day?

Deco diving I run software to create tables, and run the dive according to them. Multiple dives basically are based on these tables too. If on top of that you can recalculate on the fly if something changes... you are good to go.

I understand that others run Navy tables and port these to different gasses, yet others run computers and stick with these.

spacemanspiff1974:

I use a dive plan generated off of my VR3. I write the different stops for different depths and times on my slate and follow them in the form of a runtime table.

I also have the IANTD tables for a couple of tri-mix blends in my BC pocket with deco on EAN36 and O2. Interesting that they only allow for two dives per day. No letter groups. One side has the stops in runtime form for the first dive and the second is for the repetitive dive. The repetitive dive is to be a minimum of three hour surface interval. These would be for an extreme pinch, but they are effective.

But, typically if I am doing that kind of diving anymore, I am more than content with one dive and an obscenely long run time :) .

My preferred order is VR3, closely followed by slate (seeing that they will only be a couple of minutes away from the real time VR3 on my wrist), then IANTD tables.

That is for deco.

For repetitive deeper dives not to Tri-mix depths, I prefer to get a rough plan on tables that I carry in my BC pocket (IANTD tables with accelerated deco on EAN50) and use that determine that I have enough gas. If I do, I keep those tables for back-up and dive the VR3.

Zeeman:
Actually, I think the wheel is easier to use than any table I've seen, but that's just me :)

Z...

I think it's harder to use. You don't have to be dextrous to flip a table over.

pablovi:
And if they are, if your buddy has different diving tables than you, which one do you use to plan and execute your dives?
Is one "better" than others?
Whether using computers, all the same table, or different tables, each diver tracks his own diving per his own tables/computer, and then the group dives the most conservative table or computer.

Thanks everyone!

I would then dive the most conservative tables.

A computer must be programmed with a set of tables, anyone know which tables they use to programm it?

thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom