Diving tables

Do you use tables?

• I have always used tables to plan and check my dives.

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • I use tables to plan, but execute my dive with a computer.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I used tables until I got a computer, but no longer use them.

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • I carry tables as a backup to a failed computer.

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • Other -- explain

Votes: 13 8.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
This is a question for people who were certified within the last ten years. Please, if you learned to dive in 1955, don't answer that you dove tables for years :)

If you got certified recently, how much use of tables did you make after your OW class?

For me, I bought a dive computer, and quickly figured out that the profiles it permitted did not track on tables at all. These were all shore dives, where we swam slowly downslope and slowly upslope, and plotting them as though they were square profiles at max depth put me so far into deco that I should be dead. So within a couple of weeks, I had discarded the tables, and have never used them since (although I now constantly use a different sort of table).

I suspect this kind of evolution is common, but I thought it might make an interesting poll.

I put "I used tables until I got a computer, but no longer use them." but the reality is I still use them, just not on the boat. I A) like to keep my practice up, and B) find it easier to use at a glance to just get an idea of what a particular dive profile would look like. Usually more for fun then practical use.

I did not vote. I started out (not '55 but 56:D) using tables. I was an early adopter of dive computers (we bought 6 of the very first EDGE computers) to solve a very real problem, the expense of underwater time during blue water cruises, and our desire to minimize DCS risk by permitting dives limited at the end by gas supply only (and a depth < 20 fsw). I plan most dives with tables (U.S. Navy) first, but I often dive a computer. I do not use computers for decompression diving.

I am with 2/4 as well. Well actually I have a backup computer (but once forgot both :(

I typically plan the dive with tables. Especially for anything deep, where I want to see if gas management or NDL will be controlling. Once in the water, the computer tracks my "real" profile and therefore give a less conservative (but still quite safe) NDL time. I keep an eye on the computer and the SPG (not air-integrated computer) and also check with my buddy to figure out who is closer to which limit. When the deep dive is limited by gas management, I respect the turn pressure from the plan, make it back up with the anticipated reserve. This has served me well in my very limited experience.

For the purposes of this poll, does deco planning software count as 'tables' or a 'computer' (assuming tables, but just want to confirm)?

My reality is, I don't plan much. I dive mostly inland lakes in Michigan where I'm not exceeding the deep limits (60 feet). When I'm going deep, I rely on my computer.

I figure, my back up computer is my buddy's computer. We've dove the same profile so if he keeps himself safe, I will be safe. However, this brings in the idea that you have to know and trust your dive buddy and vise-versa. Luckily I have the luxury of having very skilled and familier divers as buddies when we dive deep.

• Most recreational dives: computer only...usually with buddies who only learned on a computer and it is an easy dive.
  • Some recreational dives: tables and computers...when diving with those that want to learn how to use tables to better understand what is going on during the dive.
  • All official deco dives: with tables with a computer as third contingency if I blew through my first two plans and I am not dead yet.

I am a kind of a mutt diver on this issue.:D

For the purposes of this poll, does deco planning software count as 'tables' or a 'computer' (assuming tables, but just want to confirm)?

I don't do deco planning yet but I use dive planner regardless so I would say yes to that and this is actually why I answered #2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom