Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @rmorgan

Dive Friends got back to me, they currently have 10 Jetpacks and 20 Hydrotanks. More equipment is on the way. They will do the RAD course with up to 4 students.

Above and beyond--Thanks! I hope we get down there this year--the card's a bit full but it's hard to fathom a year without Bonaire.

If I may add some comments.....

I haven't tried the Avelo system yet but hope to possibly this year on Bonaire or maybe Catalina. One thing people might be missing is the total elimination of a BCD. If I told you to swim underwater here, hold this bag and blow air in it, dump it, blow some back in while swimming around" you'd think what the heck?

I started diving in 1969 and sometimes go play in a pool with just a backpack and tank. The difference in streamlining and "feel" is like nothing duplicated even with my small light travel Aqualung ZUMA (I'm a warm water wimp but use it with a 5mm suit and 20 lbs lead sometimes.)

I confess to my "less is more" choice for any diving and don't clip off lots of accessories, etc. So going to something as streamlined as the Avelo would be so close to when I began "sport diving" as possible. I regularly see people even on tropical trips equipped like they're diving the Andrea Doria all for a 60' or shallower dive.

Is the Avelo expensive currently? YES......

Does it challenge traditional concepts of buoyancy using a "submarine" hard hull philosophy? YES........

The benefits of less weight to counteract various thermal protection with simpler less frequent buoyancy adjustments are the main features. I'm sure incremental advancements will come too so don't be so sure it won't reach adoption by many folks.

I heard the same thing going way back to "why do I need a SPG, BCD, Dive Computer" etc......

I'm sure a few other things I haven't thought of might be VERY attractive to the typical warm water enthusiast is all.....

Just one old guy's random thoughts :)

David Haas

View attachment 819108View attachment 819109View attachment 819110
I see a potential advantage to photographers. Having neutral buoyancy without depth dependence could save critical time and effort in setting up "the shot".

I come from a background similar to that of @David Haas, beginning my diving career in 1970. I've gone through SPGs, BCs, safe 2nds, dive computers, nitrox... There have been no breakthrough technologies for a long time. This is a breakthrough technology.

I come from a background similar to that of @David Haas, beginning my diving career in 1970. I've gone through SPGs, BCs, safe 2nds, dive computers, nitrox... There have been no breakthrough technologies for a long time. This is a breakthrough technology.

I'd be very interested, if it were just a new buoyancy compensator that I could use with my existing backplate, harness, tank, and regs. It's clearly possible to achieve the same neutral buoyancy benefit while not requiring someone to replace ALL of their gear, just the wing. As soon as that's a product, I'll buy one unless I have already made one by that time.

What exactly is the "breakthrough technology" in this system? Its just over complicated scuba that claims to solve a problem that can be solved with better training and proper weighting. And I too started my "diving career" in the 70's and have seen every convoluted "gadget" that claims to be the solution to all of our diving "problems".

I wonder how the carbon fiber tanks will fare with the kind of abuse that Al80s get in rental. Carbon getting banged around on rocks, pavement, fill stations and truck beds does not sound like a good idea.

The Catalina rental shop says they are spraying Rhino liner on their tanks to protect them but that will prevent a proper visual inspection -- that's one of the main reasons that vinyl-coated steel tanks fell out of favor.

I applaud anyone who innovates, and drives technological advances that make diving better and safer. In that spirit I'd love to meet the ppl who invented this and buy them a beer.

With that said, I think what's going to prevent this system from just catching on like wildfire is the costs vs benefits. With a little searching, one can score a very high quality, lightly used BP/W for under $500. With such a system, a good diver can achieve very precise buoyancy control, such as holding a safety stop for 3 minutes without a line, horizontal trim and without depth changing by more than 1 foot in either direction. How much more above $500 would you pay for equipment that makes that (already easy and natural) process easier?
Thank you.

I wonder who would do the hydro/vis on these tanks. . .

Maybe it is pretty straightforward, but it doesn't seem so to me.

Well, they're going after the rental fleets first.

So the answer obviously, is nobody. Just like the tanks in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom