Diving The Keys early November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one word- thermocline i hit one a little over a month ago and was @like 70 deg @40ft. That gets a bit chilly in boardshorts and rash guard dive protection

Not to be making fun of warm water Florida divers, of which I am one, but do you realize that the high for sea temp in San Diego is something like 69 deg? It only goes down from there, so it'll be really warm for her. I've only waded in the ocean in the summer time in California and it was still too cold for me.

Last edited:
If you come up just over an hour north of Key Largo you will have so much shore diving you'll be busy for you're whole trip!

If seasickness is what your husband is concerned about, we recommend Triptone. Take one the night before and then again in the morning of your trip, and he'll be another one of our Triptone decipels. Of course, I'm not a doctor, I just play one on ScubaBoard!

If I can help with any specific information for your trip, please don't hesitate to contact me. The first person to book our trips, decide where we dive!

Tanks and happy diving!

Eric

All this information is wonderful. Thank you. We are diving. We have decided to try 8th Street, Pampano Beach for a shore dive. And, then with the Scuba Diver Girls out of Rockledge we will dive in West Palm Beach with Narcosis Dive Charter. Our next planned day is with Horizon Divers out of Key Largo. After that we are heading to the Lower Keys.
It will be so nice to have a thermocline that doesn't get below 70 degrees :)

Hi. I am heading out to Florida November 4- 11th 2009 and want to check out as much of the Keys as possible. Do lots of diving with Scuba Diver Girls in California, now I am heading to the Southeast to learn more about what is wonderful over there.

Is there shore diving (husband dislikes boats)?

As others have posted - and you would think it would be different; the Keys are islands after all - there is really no decent shore diving - the best sites are +/- 6 miles offshore - but the good news is the waters are frequently not all that rough - however - monitor the weather b/c you are subject to cold fronts that can really bring high winds and resultant rough conditions - if its rough, the shallow sites - there are many - can get surgy.

Which charters have the best deals, crew, dive sites the go to, least crowding, most crowding, etc...

Many answers to this however my 2 favorites are "HMS Minnow" a 6 pack in Key Largo right behind the Holiday Inn, and Conch Republic, located a little south in Taverner. Both excellent op's and will not treat you like a complete newbi - can't say that about many in KL.

I am a seasoned diver (instructor) and really love adventure, I find reefs and lots of critters more exciting.

You will love the Keys - but there are excellent wrecks, The Bibb, Dwayne, Eagle and Speigal Grove

I do dive every single day in the Kelp of San Diego :D

So do we - but we call it sea weed :rofl3: - just kidding!

What can all you fun divers tell me, plus all my info I collect on my trip is going back to Scuba Diver Girls and Lady Diver Magazine.

Have a great trip!

You can shore dive south lauderdale(lauderdale by the sea), and a few other spots here and there. Im contemplating Shore diving Breakers reef soon off Palmbeach, But asfar as i know the keys has None really but tons of boat diving. Key Largo has a decent selection, and there are a ton of popular spots like molassis and places in pennekamp park, the Vanderbilt in Key West, the Busch off marathon/ bigpine area is kinda neat, Looe key in Big Pine area, Begining of Nov you might want about a 3mm full-5mm because the water may be a bit chilly
I found a dive site in Pampano Beach that I am going to try before all the Scuba Diver Girls get there. We are heading to the Keys after that. I am so grateful everyone has given me lots of info. I am really seeing that diving is done far from shore.
Thank you

Have a great trip!
Thanks!
Yeah, no matter how you look at it Kelp is a sea weed LOL. I appreciate all the great info.
I have many good thing about Conch Republic. So, with all this info I plan to get all a few charters and have already set up 3 days with 9 dives and still need to plan the other days. I am going to play it a little by ear, so I can do my research and interviews for Scuba Diver Girls.
Thanks again!

Head's up, we had SO much fun diving the Creature Feature dive with Capt. Spencer Slate today in Key Largo that we are doing it again November 8!!! I hope you and the girls can join us!!!! Book directly with them. I'll be posting the dive in Trips and marketplace this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom