diving the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a week in Key Largo during the end of Dec and we dove the duane and Grove every day. We dove with Ocean Divers and they were great. We were the only boat out there each day because the seas were at about ten feet each day. They have the larger boats which can take you out. Even though the seas were up there the dives were amazing. I cannot wait to get down there again. We actually stayed at a campground. I think it was called Key Largo Campground. Nice place with clean showers, Pool, and many other things to do. I believe they charged something like $25 a night, not bad for camping. It was unreal, nice and relaxing. Dove in the morning, got lunch afterward and then sat out by the pool for the rest of the afternoon. Paradise...

Good luck with your trip and enjoy the Dives

I was recently down in Key Largo and dove the Spiegel Grove and Molasses Reef with a shop called Ocean Divers. The staff and boat there was really great and I strongly suggest you dive with them if you have a chance.

MSilvia:
As far as Ops go, after diving with Diver's City (now in Tavernier), I can't imagine doing the Grove with anyone else.

I second that. They were awesome. There is a motel right next to their shop. They went out of their way to accomodate my desires which was two back to back days of 3 tank dives on SG. It's such a big ship, need to spend that many dives to totally experience it. For that many dives, will require nitrox and they'll train you provided you have time eve before dives to review material.

Just got back from FL yesterday. The highlight was Sunday: two trips, both with Captain Slate's Atlantis operation, trip one long Spiegel Grove dive followed by a sh@#%y shallow reef dive, trip two Duane and then Spiegel Grove. Seas were 3 - 5, moderate current. Man, that wreck is big. I could do a week just there.

It was kind of fun to watch the other divers, mostly local, in wetsuits and "freezing" between and after diving. I went down with a CF200 and doubles, got a few comments like "you could be going down to the Andrea Doria like that (uh, no.)" but also the last laugh as I stayed nice and toasty underwater and on the deck in the wind. Nothing like New England diving to prepare you for anything.

I will second what was said above about Atlantis being a bit regimented in their dive management. If that doesn't bother you, they are pretty close to the wreck and seemed to be accommodating. I didn't dive with Quiessence on this trip but when I lived in Miami they were my favorite Key Largo operation.

yak:
There's lots of posts on the subject in the Florida Conch Divers Club section.

I'll be diving it for the first time in May.

Jack,

When are you diving the Grove? I'll be diving her on - I believe - the first of May with a group organized through Enfield Scuba (JDL).

ASC

I dove the Spiegel last summer with Captian Slates Atlantis for my first 'real' dive after certification. The crew was terrific, especially for a first timer. Talk about falling in love with a wreck, Captain Slates Atlantis does a dive of all three wrecks there in one day, I can't wait to sign up for that!

Back
Top Bottom