Diving the USAT Liberty Shipwreck, Bali Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also doubt that they have gone forever. We have been diving the Liberty Wreck since 2011 and sometimes we have seen them and sometimes not. However in February 2020, my guide and I were the only two divers on the wreck at dawn. We had a fabulous long encounter with many many bumpheads. They seem to appear in other areas of Bali during some phases of the moon. The best thing we can all do is visit and dive and shop and eat and tip generously.

Yet what happened to the ex resident jackfish school that disappeared in 2012 is still a mystery.
Some say it has moved but it seems nobody knows where.
So what makes the most sense? Either all the jacks were perhaps removed from the wreck by some crafty anglers or they perhaps dispersed into a very big ocean?

I'd think the local dive ops would've handed out cash to locals if it would have kept people from taking the fish.
Well the dive op that I use (Villa Alba), had sold most of their vehicles and converted their new (2018) tech workshop and gym into a "birds nest soup" factory in order to survive.

It's been a tough two years with nobody knowing when tourists would return.

I talked to said guide again, and he laughed at the idea they have been fished out. He also commented they are seeing some of them at Batu Emerald. I'm not sure how he knows they are some of the same bumpheads, but he also laughed because they are too big for the handline fishermen use in Tulamben.

If you apply Occam's razor to the mystery, what makes more sense? That approximately one hundred 50kg massive fish were taken by handlines from the most famous dive site in Bali only 75 meters from shore and under the noses of a community whose existence pretty much centers around said dive site...

...or that for whatever reason (food source, water temperature, the moon, making baby bumpheads, etc...) the fish moved to "greener pastures" where they find conditions more favorable and they may or may not be back as the ocean is huge and ever-changing...

He also commented they are seeing some of them at Batu Emerald. I'm not sure how he knows they are some of the same bumpheads,
In the pre Covid times the "LIberty" bumpheads used to be seen around 9-10 AM at Emerald (same number of bumpheads, same size), as they quit the wreck area around 8AM.
If he still sees them, that should be the same individuals, perhaps they leave earlier then.

Thoughts on if this is worth a long drive? I'll be on a family trip for 10 days (I'm the only diver) and plan to do a few dives. However we won't be anywhere near this area and I'll probably be doing my diving while we are staying in Sanur so looking at 2-2.5 hour drive in each direction. Dive site sounds excellent, but 4-5 hours in the car doesn't sound appealing at all (actually it sounds quite miserable)

A ton of people make that trip every day. Is it worth it? It is easily one of Bali's best dives and can be spectacular- especially early in the morning before all the daytrippers show up. LOL. If this is your one trip in a lifetime to Indonesia, and your family is cool with you being gone all day, I would consider it.

Just an idea, but you could consider hiring a private driver to take you up there early in the morning (like at 5:00), arrange two or three dives with someone like Liberty Dive Center, and get you back at a decent hour. Heck, bring the family up and they could snorkel the wreck and hang out at the pool while you do your thing. The cost would not be all that awful and it would make for a much more efficient and enjoyable day.

Just an idea, but you could consider hiring a private driver to take you up there early in the morning (like at 5:00), arrange two or three dives with someone like Liberty Dive Center, and get you back at a decent hour.
What a great idea, thanks .
Private car, never thought of that, self drive or with a driver who knows the way and how do dodge the mad scooter riders, I am sure it will worse than last time I was there, half pissed Aussies and Brits the worst on scooters [this was last century].:oops:
And not fall asleep after a long day of diving driving back.

+1 on hiring a car with driver, believe me you don't really want to drive in Bali as you need 360 degree vision to deal with the scooters.

Leaving Sanur at around 05:00 and coming back after three dives, you will be exhausted. Hire a car with driver.

Appreciate all the information. I definitely won't be driving at all in Bali. There are dive shops in Sanur that will provide transportation, but heading up earlier on my own is a good idea and I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom