Diving then driving - Elevation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the way I went lasttime, and would take the same route again...

If you didn't have a problem last time, you probably won't this time, either.

When were you here last? Newport Road to Dominegoni Parkway hasn't been open all that long.

The basic physics of diving are universal, but there will be slight changes from individual to individual, age, condition, hydration, bubble seeds etc. Some dive tables are now recommending not exceeding 1000 feet following a dive. The drive to altitude table previously provided may be good, I don't know.

I do know that in October 2001 I drove to Hemit CA at 1,400 feet elevation from Long Beach and then to the chamber for 2 treatments. (Note, I was bent the week before and took one of two recommended chamber rides. But the point is I went from no pain or symptoms to, Ouch, that hurts.). But your experience may vary.

Just my $0.02.

If you didn't have a problem last time, you probably won't this time, either.

When were you here last? Newport Road to Dominegoni Parkway hasn't been open all that long.

Umm, I think 2 weeks ago. Sept 19th.

Hi,
if this could help .... last Sat. I was in Hawaii and did 2 boat dives and then we immediately drove south to the Honaunau bay to visit the "Place of Refuge".

What I forgot to realize :depressed: ... was that Hawaii is all up and down ... and we had to go from sea level to ~1500 feet .. and then down again.

So, I was driving very slowly uphill ... and fast downhill :D .. and listening to my body for any strange symptom. At one point I had a feeling of tingling :shakehead: ... and I was getting worried.

But then, up there in the mountain I saw a .... DIVE SHOP! And I said to myself ... "if this guys are giving classes here, they HAVE to go up and down the mountain every day" .... and magically the sensation of tingling disappeared.

So far I am alive and well :wink:

Best Regards,

AM

It looks like you would have to get to NOAA Group I before you needed to worry about going up the hill there outside of Kona. The problem is most people dive computers not the charts. I have generally waited at least 3 hours before making that trip after diving deep, but I know people who have stayed in the valley past Kona and made the drive every day right after diving without incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom