Diving this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kristina, you right rental is a way to go, especially if you need whole set up. This is big liability unfortunately :( wallins can get you rec setup for ~ 50 with bc, weights, regs, tanks.
Doug Monastery could be more involved than BW nothing major you just have to leave your ego aside :) otherwise you can get hurt there. We will be there ~ 9 driving gray toyota track feel free to say hi.

Kristina, you right rental is a way to go, especially if you need whole set up. This is big liability unfortunately :( wallins can get you rec setup for ~ 50 with bc, weights, regs, tanks.
Doug Monastery could be more involved than BW nothing major you just have to leave your ego aside :) otherwise you can get hurt there. We will be there ~ 9 driving gray toyota track feel free to say hi.

Thanks for the info, Andrew. You never know how you'll like something until you try, and I'm always up for new diving experience, so count me in. I'll be there at 9 in a white Civic Del Sol.

I don't have a drysuit, unfortunately. Do you think a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm hooded vest is enough thermal protection? It seems to have been enough at the BW, though that's pretty shallow diving.

The thermal protection should be fine. The diving in itself isn't much different, it's better viz and it's deeper, the challenge with it is getting in and out safely. There is a big hill with coarse sand that's a real challenge to walk up and down with gear. Takes a lot of strength, it's not an "easy entry". If you've got good leg strength and no heart problems, and conditions are flat, Monastery is a divable spot. I will call the dive before getting in if waves are over my thighs.

Doug, I would be happy to take you to other sites Sunday or Monday. If Breakwater is all you're familiar with, I would recommend MacAbee or Lover's before trying to tackle Monastery. I would also feel more comfortable diving with you to see how comfortable you are in cold water before taking you somewhere as dangerous as Monastery. After my first attempt at Monastery I spent 4 months in the hospital, I wasn't ready for it and I didn't have enough experience to know I wasn't ready for it.
Can you dive Sunday or Monday?

Doug, I would be happy to take you to other sites Sunday or Monday. If Breakwater is all you're familiar with, I would recommend MacAbee or Lover's before trying to tackle Monastery. I would also feel more comfortable diving with you to see how comfortable you are in cold water before taking you somewhere as dangerous as Monastery. After my first attempt at Monastery I spent 4 months in the hospital, I wasn't ready for it and I didn't have enough experience to know I wasn't ready for it.
Can you dive Sunday or Monday?

Sure, I'd love to dive with you those other days, and I think that's sound advice given what I've read about Monastery online. Sunday works best for me, but can make Monday work as well. Which alternate site would you recommend?

Just to give you some knowledge of my experience so you can choose an appropriate spot, I've done deep diving (130 ft.), drift diving, diving with significant current (Galapagos), diving with waves and surge, diving with not so great visibility (~20 feet). I haven't run into any problems so far. All my diving outside the BW and certification dives in Pennsyvania, however, has been in 70+ degree water, and I haven't dived in extremely low visibility. I also haven't done many shore entries, and my few shore entries have been in low-surf conditions.

That said, I love diving, am in very good physical condition, and want to take on anything that I'm ready for.

Looking forward to diving with you! I've been looking for potential dive buddies in the area since I moved back, so thanks for offering to give me a tour!

Doug

No problem at all Doug. How early is too early for you? We can meet at Breakwater as early as 7 am Sunday, that's where I rent my tanks, then I can have you follow me to MacAbee or Lover's.
I dive 2-4 weekends per month, I'm always willing to take new buddies out. Let's take you out, see how your buoyancy and buddy skills are and have some fun?

Great, I'll let you know what time. Why don't you put it in the car now, while you're thinking about it?
Monastery wasn't a problem in itself, it was that @#$%^& hill. I have no problem checking my ego at the car, we can take all day to make it over the hill if you want. I'm no hero :) Wonder if I can find a snow disc or something to lay the tank on to slide it over the berm? That might be a great idea :) Anyone have a snow disc for a beach day?

I was serious about the snow disc.

No problem at all Doug. How early is too early for you? We can meet at Breakwater as early as 7 am Sunday, that's where I rent my tanks, then I can have you follow me to MacAbee or Lover's.
I dive 2-4 weekends per month, I'm always willing to take new buddies out. Let's take you out, see how your buoyancy and buddy skills are and have some fun?

Just saw your message. Great, let's meet at the Breakwater. Since you'll need to rent your gear and drive, how about 9 am (I suggested 10, but it's probably best if we get started early).

@Doug, you're in good hands with Kristina; she's a great dive buddy. I might hook up with you guys if I can excuse myself on Sunday, if you don't mind.

Thanks Norbert, you're welcome to join us Sunday. Meeting at Glenn's Aquarius at Breakwater 9 am, going to cruise to Lover's first, 1, 2 or 3 depending on conditions, start with 3 first, 1, then 2 (that's my order of preference for Lover's). If that's kinda squirrelly then we'll drive over to MacAbee and see how it looks there.

Back
Top Bottom