Diving tomorrow. Concerned about Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All this week the discovery channel has had shark week going. It has been very educational. None of the hype that the media has been playing on. Too bad its almost over. I did find it interesting they listed the top three most dangerous sharks in order...1) Bull 2)Great White 3) Tiger. Carribean Reef wasn't in the top ten. Sharks like bees, wasps, snakes, spiders and most other things that have the ability to inflict pain generally are more afraid of you than you are of them. Divers typically do not look, smell, or act like food.

Have fun, wish I was there to dive too.

Tom

I am diving tomarrow between light house Point(boca raton) and Miami for lobsters.

We usualy see at least one shark a day doing three tank dives. They are always nurse sharks that range between 4 and 5 feet long. Every time they see us they scoot away pretty fast.

My thoughts on nurse sharks are that as long as they are not cornered and they have a way away from you...you are safe. But thats just my 2 cents worth and may get me in trouble in the future, because I have been know to poke small nurse sharks in the butt with my tickle stick, while lobstering! ( I never claimed to be the smartest person in the world:D)

Anyways with you being from miami...you should check out the area that I dive in...there are three diffrent reefs there!

One at 15 to 20 feet that is man made...its alright, lots of big morays and lobsters there, even a few spanish lobsters.

Another reef that runs around 30 to 50 feet that is real nice, lots of fish,turtles,a few nurse sharks:D and thelobstering is pretty good.

Then there is another reef around 90 feet deep, beautiful sponges,huge lobsters, just a all around great reef...bad part is that its so deep you cant stay there so long...oh yea, that reef has great barrel sponges and sea fans.

I also found a star fish breeding ground in about 30 feet of water just north of port miami 2 years ago, they were so huge....they were the size of dinner plates and had arms the sizes of bread sticks! In an area that was about 50 feet by 50 feet!

I have done probably 50 to 60 dives in this area, and it is by far my favorite!

Walter I will try to figure out a date and see if you can arange it to go with us!

Jason Lee

My wife asked me why there aren't any sharks in Bonaire yet lots of them in Florida. I resonded by saying there isn't any food for them in Bonaire-she's bright and didn't fall for that one....so why are there lots of sharks(at least it seems that way) around Florida??

MM - I'm green with envy... Key Largo diving? Sounds wonderful and I hope you have a great time. Try not to worry about the sharks too much and if you do see them, enjoy them!

I was told that in the event of coming across a 'dangerous' shark and things look a bit iffy, if possible, get your back up against the cliff wall or a rock... They can't get a grip on you that way.

And I do like Buff's suggestion of making sure you can outswim your buddy! (didn't I read something on another thread about using your dive knife to stab your buddy first?? hehe)

Dive safe now, y'hear?
:)

Alison, back in the old days we said, "stab your buddy and pull his CO2 inflator." Since no one has a CO2 inflator anymore, it's a joke no one understands (except the old folks). Don't bet on a shark not being able to get a grip just because you're against a cliff or rock. I've been on dives where lemons have pulled morays out of the reef. I can dives Key Largo anytime I want, but I'm jealous of you diving Thailand. I'd love to get over there for a couple of weeks.

WWW™

Hi keralucu,

The point of backing up to a reef is:

1. Reduces the number of angles from which a shark can approach you, and allows you to keep your eye on it. They like to attack from below & behind.

2. May make it harder for the shark to to determine your contours & actual size.

Not to worry.

DocVikingo

Hey Walter - thanks for that... Any time you want to come over to Thailand let me know. It would be a pleasure and an honour to dive with any of my "scuba family".

And DocV - thank YOU for the tips... will remember them (or try) should the need ever arise! Hopefully, I will only get in really close proximity to whale sharks....

Cheers

Old enough to remember??? Don't date us like that!!! Of course next time we go, I'll be sure to loan someone my -OLD- BC with a fresh CO2 cartridge. Of course, I am not even sure it holds air anymore... technicalities, technicalities...

:tease:

Anyone going to try and dive with the sharks off of the Western Fla coast??? They don't sound too aggressive...

Hi Alison,

Wow, I'll be in Thailand this coming April. Does invite extend to me?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Naturally, DocV.... When exactly in April? Mid-April is the Thai New Year which means I have a few days off and will of course be going diving as it's the best time of the year to do so.... flat water, clear viz.... easy dives but beautiful ones.

Let me know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom