diving trip on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't dived there, but I hear there are some big fish & sharks in the Gulf of Cal. Maybe Cabo? There would be the option of driving? I can say that a drive to Cabo is intriguing. 50 foot cacti.

I wouldn't recommend the Bahamas right at the moment, it's about to be wiped off the map with Hurricane Irene.

I wouldn't recommend the Bahamas right at the moment, it's about to be wiped off the map with Hurricane Irene.

It will only get a good bath..... After she passes you could get some discounts:shocked2:

From SFO you could do Cabo or La Paz on your budget. Going to Cabo myself over Labor Day weekend and paying about that much. Diving is not going to be the best you ever did in your life, but worth checking out. Fair chance at big stuff at Gordo Banks (day dive trip from Cabo) and decent diving in the Bay and adjacent "Corridor" right out of Cabo. Also the time of year for good viz and water in the low 80s. Lots of dive operators, but I've always dove with Sunshine Dive..and they have some great dive packages that include accommodation

I just booked airfare to Grand Cayman first week of october for $582/pp incl taxes & fees. Plentiful shore diving there or packages for $300-550. Lodging can be a bit much but shopping around helps.

I would recommend Captain Hooks on Marathon Key FL. Great crew, awesome life, and $50/two tank dive if you buy a 5 trip package (2 tanks/trip). There are a lot of cheap hotel/motels near by, and flying into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest can be had CHEAP if you shop/wait for the 'deals'. The Key is nothing spectacular, but the reefs are very healthy, full of life, and shallow (15 -20' avg) making for long bottom times (captain permitting). If you want a wreck dive, the Thunderbolt is a good option.

I was there last June and the water temp, I kid you not, was 91 degrees. Not typical, but nice. With the exception of my feet cooking in my 5mil boots! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom