Diving vs Shell Collecting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcosis,
Spearfishing isn't the one to blame for the depletion of fish in the waters. It's the indiscriminating nets of commercial fisherman that do. Spearfishing accounts for way less than 1/1000th of a % of the total fish removed from the oceans. The big differences are that when you spearfish, you are on their turf, one on one, a true hunt, and make no mistakes, they have the advantage. A spearfisherman shoots what he chooses to and eats what he wants, wasting virtually nothing.

Since your're not a vegitarian in it's true sence, sounds like you don't eat fish because you choose not to. Do you refrain from eating Lobster, crab and shrimp as well? Your loss I guess, but nothing more satisfying than diving for my own Lobster from Oct-Mar. I think that you accomplished to hit yet another nerve in the community, I'd just like to know whether or not you have enough facts before you made your choices.

Keep the great comments people, it just goes to show how much class this forum really has.

Mario :D

I disagree with spear fishing!!

That is not the issue here is it. The issue is shell collecting and collection of corals etc which long term effect eco systems of reefs etc.

My preferences into what I eat and dont eat do not come into this, I dont eat shell fish because of a religious point of view, fish because I got food poisoning once. Everybody happy now, so get back to the point.

I have no objections to you eating whatever you want, just dont start eating coral or anenome sandwiches.

We are taught from day one to respect the environment we dive in, taking from it is taboo. Unless you dont care of course.

I think you should get your facts right first into why people eat and dont or should or shouldnt eat shellfish, you wouldnt want to upset the jewish community of divers now would you.

([red]thread edited, lets leave race out of this, especially when you don't know what you are talking about - KN[/red])

But once again you seem to be sniping at the tangent issue instead of reading into the real part of the question.

Narcosis,

None of us brought up the topic of spearfishing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you brought up both topics. I merely pointed out it would be imprudent to attack someone better armed than yourself and someone else pointed out why your objections to spearfishing are emotional rather than logical.

I've had disagreements with some here in the past and I'm sure there will be more in the future, but I've always found people here to be very polite and informative in our discussions. I don't believe anyone deserves to be the victim of a personal attack.

Courtsey goes a long way even in a disagreement. You might wish to rethink your method of discussion.

Walter

I for one know that disagreements are great...

How did this thread go to spearfishing??? Stand your ground Walter but I must agree to one thing. We as divers do have a responsibility to our eco system but as was pointed out above, divers are not the problem. Merry Christmas and I'll miss replying for the next few days. Have fun and keep it fun...

oh Narc,

You've gone and done it again ... You've gone and waken the powers of fury from the underwater world ... hehe

It takes alot to impress me within the Diving Industry, and to be someone that I look to with great respect or as a MENTOR requiries extraordinary traits. Having said that, let me first give some examples..

1) Our very own Dr. DECO - I hope I'm not embarrasing him here but if you ever talked to him in person you would understand (There is a chance he may be at DEMA with us too).
2) Walt Deas - Vice President of the SSAC, a photographer and Film-maker of international repute and Founder member of Divings Very First Org. and Frank Galloway - Another of Modern Divings Very First Founding Members...
3) Ric Powell - Former NABS president, instructed in the Turn on to Aquatics (TOTA) classes in cooperation with the Department of Recreation and Parks of the City of Los Angeles, In 1975 he was named "Diver of the Year" by they University of South Florida Scuba Diving Club.
4) Dr. A. Jose Jones - Founder of NABS (National Association of Black Scuba Divers), a decorated combat veteran, and holds a Ph.D. in marine biology from Georgetown University in Washington and is greatly respected the WORLD over for his work in Marine Biology ... And one HECK of a GREAT spearfisherman!

Now this last man, Dr. A. Jose Jones, I have personally talked with at GREAT LENGTH about Spear Fishing. Who better to discuss these topics than a Marine Biologist and leading expert who's job it is to Fly around the world for governments all over the globe and report to them the current state of their ecological system? And yes, he still does this as we speak! I would love to have him in a room with you for two minutes and you just may start to see the light. I was once torn on the subject, loving the sport but concerned about the reports I heard and I had basically stopped spear fishing due to what I believed to be true in fact wasn't. Dr. Jones is in fact writting an article for us as we speak and I hope to have it up soon!

Some people (as I was at first) are VERY shocked to find out that one of the men most widely known for his conservation efforts is also one of the most HIGHLY decorated spear fishermen alive today!

And I will tell you this much, just as I would NEVER question any of the specialized Doctors that share with us in this forum against their specialty, It doesn't take long talking to Dr. Jones to realize why I wouldn't question him either (besides the fact I tried to question him once before and he quickly and soundly changed my mind)

Now, remember, this is all based upon ethical and responsible participation of the sport, as with any hobby.

=-)

Narc,

One more thing ... As for the "Offend Jewish People" remark, I caution you to tread lightly, the only offending going on is you have falsly classified A LOT of Jewish people wrongly.

This forums own "Tech Admin", Ted Sindinski, is Jewish and just called me from his families Jewish Holiday party (Chanukah starts tonight) to ask me if I caught that post and inform me that amoung other seafood's on the table such as crab dips and oysters they had Lobster for lunch.

One quick way to turn people off of any good points you make is to make false and rash statements like that. You may in fact be Jewish and/or not eat shellfish, which is your choice and I for one wouldn't knock you either way. What someone wants to eat or not eat doesn't bother me one way or another but you are the one judging people and making false statements. Not only is Ted, our tech admin, but another of this Forum's founding members, Steve_S, is Jewish and now have both called me (both are good personal friends) and told me quite the opposite from what you blanketed over Jewish people.

Lets just leave race out of things, it's better for everyone that way.

=-)

Neptune

Why isn't anyone one allowed on here to have a difference in opinion on anything.

My issue wasnt on spear fishermen, but on damaging the reefs etc by removal of shells and coral.

I mention spearfishermen because I dont agree with it does not in any way mean I want it banned!!!

I did not bring up the idea or insults that Mr Mario started about eating shellfish, also people should read the arguement all the way through,

I didnt realise that the people were so unsensitive towards their diving environment and more interested in personal feelings.

I may not agree with many of you on here and you may take everything I say wrongly or read into it all too deeply, but dont over look the most important issue for me THE ENVIRONMENT.

If I upset people in my replies, then so be it, it seems a lot of people on here look for a bite!!!

Narc,

Just a few quotes of yours from this thread:

"I mention spearfishermen because I dont agree with it does not in any way mean I want it banned!!!"

"Whilst im ranting on, Spear fishing I think is a terrible sport.It should be banned, if a spearfisherman is attacked whilst spear fishing then that goes part and parcel with the risk of spearing fish."

"I did not bring up the idea or insults that Mr Mario started about eating shellfish,"

"Mario, you are an idiot" Jewish people ... ([red]edited to clean things up a bit - KN[/red])

You say you do want spearfishing banned, then you say you never indicated it.

Mario brought up shellfish, you began throwing insults, and as far as I can see no one has as yet responded to you with insults. I can see where you may have misunderstood one of Mario's statements but that was after what looked like an attack from you.

"We are all either friends or buddies here. There's no room for trash."

He was referring to your insults, attacks and threats of physical attacks, not to you personally.

Walter

Ok.. Thanks Walter. Point Taken - I understand what or how things went wrong.

Heya Peeps,

Whew ... I was torn between the above subject I used and "Good Morning Vietnam!" ... I hope I chose wisely... hehe

Narc, Please don't ever take anything I say personally, all I ever tried to point out is: As you were telling us your opinion and getting upset when others disagreed, you went on to say that other's opinions were wrong (like trying to telling other Jewish members they are wrong). This will start some very heated feelings for sure. As I mentioned before, you can rightfully make 100 post, 99 can be valid points but the minute you strip others of theirs' with just one post, they will forget the other 99 and the wars will begin.

As I also mentioned once before on these forums, the minute you make a "Blanket Sterio Type" you are bound to offend someone. And that doesn't always mean they are over-sensitive. Even if you think it's 100% accurate something is bound to bite ya in the rear about it, hehe.

Everyone,

Disagrements are healthy, that's how people learn. We can't always agree all the time. Likewise, we all aren't always right. I, for one, welcome a healthy challenge and very often request correction where I am not sure of my facts.

=-)

Back
Top Bottom