Diving West Palm Beach Area End of January - Recommendations Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KDAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in the West Palm Beach area from Jan. 28 thru Jan. 31, 2016 and, weather permitting, would like to get a few dives in. I am hoping to dive BHB and possible one or two other shore dives. High tide at the Port of West Palm Beach is 11:40 am on Friday, January 29 and 12:21 pm on Saturday, January 30 so I could use some recommendations for a shore dive or two for times other than when I would be at BHB.

1. Are the shore spots divable that time of year, especially for a first timer to the area?
2. My hotel reservations are in the Juno Beach/Palm Beach Gardens area.Given the high tide times at BHB, which I would like to dive both days, should I do a shore dive near there either before or afterwards, say Green Roofs or Breakers Reef or head down to LBTS? Note:My flight arrival time does not allow me to make BHB on Thursday, but I can hit Green Roofs/Breakers/LBTS that day as well.
3. I assume that I would need to pick up two tanks on Thursday and refill them late on Friday to be ready for Saturday.Can any of the dive shops near BHB accommodate this?
4. Also, if anyone is available one or both of those days and would like to dive please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I realize that it is a little early but some of the planning with flights and hotels have to be done at this time I will bump the thread a little closer to dive dates to find out if anybody's are available to dive with.

Last edited:
The best beach diving is a bit further south. LBTS is a good start, however there are better places IMO that are much better. The weekends tend to get busy at the bridge.. at least in the summer and parking can become quite the issue. Most places off the beach are pretty easy to navigate. Entries are a gentle slope, tides are not a factor (other than BHB) and the reef is generally less than 50 yards off shore. One can do it themselves, however local knowledge / buddy will point out stuff that you would probably miss otherwise.
One thing to remember is that you must have a dive flag, even at the bridge with dozens in the water.
Shops near BHB can do fills and places like Force E and Pura Vida may be able to give you additional info on local marine life.

Good luck and safe diving!

The best beach diving is a bit further south. LBTS is a good start, however there are better places IMO that are much better.

How much further south? With the tide times at BHB would I be able to do both in one day? Or would trying to find a hotel further south be a better idea? Availability is limited...

Last edited:
I like a spot just south of LBTS in Ft. Lauderdale. Decent parking, easy entry. But no facilities. but then most beach dive sites don't have facilities.

I will be in the West Palm Beach area from Jan. 28 thru Jan. 31,........I am hoping to dive BHB and possible one or two other shore dives....

That is about the absolute PEAK of the Lemon and nurse shark mating season with hundreds of sharks just laying on the bottom off the sand, letting the current flow over their gills. And you want to waste time on a shore dive? Get on a boat and try to book it now, since many are almost sold out for that weekend. Bring a camera / GoPro,,,tons to see. You'll miss the greatest boat dive you've ever done that weekend !!

3lemons.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I am glad I didn't wait a few weeks to post. I will definitely look into it.

Wow! Thanks for the tip. I am glad I didn't wait a few weeks to post. I will definitely look into it.

I'm going to echo Johnoly here; offshore WPB is in my opinion one of the best dive spots in the world. If you don't have the time, budget, or amenable weather to take a boat trip (or are really, really into macro photography), BHB and shore diving are okay consolation prizes ... but conditions and budget permitting I'd skip those and go offshore. There are plenty of dive boats available, and even without the lemon sharks headlining things there are enough other big critters out there to make it worthwhile.

For the lemons, you have two categories of options: baited or unbaited. Depending on how you weigh an increased chance of seeing them at close range (plus higher odds of seeing other species) versus "natural" behavior, there are two boats that do baited dives and a number that will try and find the lemon sharks without offering them breakfast. Based on the last two years, I'd say your odds of finding them either way are pretty good (however, there is some concern now that the commercial shark fishing season opener has been moved to January 1, 2016 - jury is out on whether this will have an impact).

first, check out our club. Vero Beach Scuba Club on facebook. You are welcome to join us on any trip! we're a friendly bunch and our members dive the BHB very frequently.
second, join us for a boat dive with one of the many operators that support us. we usually dive from Jupiter or Palm Beach area. our area offers a world class dive experience.
three, the dive shop actually in the park at the BHB does fills and is a big supporter of the dive club (Blue Heron Bridge Scuba - The Best Shore Diving in the Americas - Blue Heron Bridge Scuba). i highly recommend them.
fourth, let me know when your plans are finalized. my schedule tends to be flexible
fifth, the dive Charter, Little Deeper is also right at the shop at BHB. great crew and great dive sites.

feel free to pm me with any questions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom