Question Shore Dives near Riviera Beach that are not Tide Dependent - or Boat Dives done before Noon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a car trip to SE Florida, pretty well scheduled, but would not mind doing extra diving on our last day (a Monday) before we drive back. Tide timing won't work at BHB, and most dive ops start their 2-tank boat trips at 9 or so on Mondays, which is too late. So, are there any shore dives that are not tide-dependent that might work, or does anyone know of either early 2-tank trips or 1-tank trips (believe The Scuba Club used to have, but now their 1 tank stays on for the whole 2-tank trip 10-2)? Goal is to be done diving, packed up, and on the road by noon.

Planning a car trip to SE Florida, pretty well scheduled, but would not mind doing extra diving on our last day (a Monday) before we drive back. Tide timing won't work at BHB, and most dive ops start their 2-tank boat trips at 9 or so on Mondays, which is too late. So, are there any shore dives that are not tide-dependent that might work, or does anyone know of either early 2-tank trips or 1-tank trips (believe The Scuba Club used to have, but now their 1 tank stays on for the whole 2-tank trip 10-2)? Goal is to be done diving, packed up, and on the road by noon.
Any other day than a monday I would say ScubaWorks which departs at 8am and returns about 11:30-noon on their 2 tankers. But unfortunately SW's monday dives are 3 tankers and it's pushing 2pm when they get back.

So a Plan B suggestion that most college groups do when exiting Florida. You can stop at Blue Springs state park which just north of Orlando and pretty close to I4 if you are taking I 95 out of Florida. If you are taking I75 out of Florida, then there's a ton of 'springs" option with Ginnie being the most popular and close to I75. The reason all the college groups do it is because it rinses all your gear in fresh water for the drive home. Read the springs webpages since most now are requiring advance parking/entry reservations and you can't just "show-up" during the summer months.

What Monday date are you talking about?

If you go with the springs and haven't done it before, my personal experience of the popular privately owned springs was Devil's Den was the most interesting, blue grotto was the most efficiently run, and ginnie was the one that did the least for me. I only had time to do the ballroom though.

if you have tanks and everything with you there are parks with springs that allow diving. Troy is a popular one, as is the orange grove at peacock.

Reactions: CCS
Or if you are OK with beach diving further south, Ft Lauderdale/Pompano area has some decent beach diving.

If you go with the springs and haven't done it before, my personal experience of the popular privately owned springs was Devil's Den was the most interesting, blue grotto was the most efficiently run, and ginnie was the one that did the least for me. I only had time to do the ballroom though.

I agree with this recommendation. We stop in at Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, or Ginnie Springs every time we head down to Florida (4 times last year). They're definitely worth the detour. They aren't far from the highway, don't cost a lot, and are good freshwater dive options.

Thanks everyone. I'm not a big fan of cave/cavern diving -- I mainly like to see fish and other critters. Do any of these springs dives have a lot of creatures to see (not just the 1 pet turtle)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom