Diving with ankylosing spondylitis. Any DCS considerations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello there.

I'm new to this forum. I'm 37 years old and have had ankylosing spondylitis since I was 21. My condition hasn't limited my life too much and I'm currently taking the biologic simponi. As I've aged my disease has progressed and I've spent more time dealing with inflammation and difficulty sleeping.

I wanted to ask the doctors and fellow divers with ankylosing spondylitis if they know anything about the interaction of the condition with decompression illness (which I've had in the past)

I read something once that suggested that rheumatoid arthritis patients should avoid diving while they're having a flair up because inflammation can affect off gassing.

I discussed this both with a hyperbaric chamber at a major hospital and also with my rheumatologist, but they both didn't know much because both DCS and ank spon are so niche that there has never been studies done.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or personal experiences?

Welcome to the forum @Wanderlust1985. Thanks for joining in.

Since ankylosing sponlytis affects lung function, have you had any issue such as shortness of breath? Have you had any lung function tests?

Welcome to the forum @Wanderlust1985. Thanks for joining in.

Since ankylosing sponlytis affects lung function, have you had any issue such as shortness of breath? Have you had any lung function tests?
Thanks for the reply.

I've had no shortness of breath issues, and that's interesting what you say about lung function as it's not something that I've thought much about before. My ank spon is focused mainly in my back and manifests as inflammation and stiffness in my back and legs.

I've occasionally done simple lung tests (blow into a tube) and they've been fine

AS can affect lung function mainly manifesting as what's called restrictive lung disease. There are multiple lung manifestations. It does not mean that you cannot have an enjoyable, normal life as clinical manifestations vary among individuals. In fact one of my relatives has AS and is now in his 90s. You can contact DAN non-emergency line for more recommendations. Also look at this nice article I found for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom