Diving with contacts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving with soft contact lenses for 15 years without incident. Contact lens wearers should be aware that there may be increased risks of acanthomeba infections if you don't clean your contacts properly after swimming, diving, etc. We saw a number of infections in the inland northwest with extended wear contact lens wearers that may have been associated with water sports. The resulting infection was painful and required corneal grafts in several patients.

Your best bet is to clean your lenses after water sports and take them out before sleeping.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/acanthomoeba/factsht_acanthamoeba.htm

ZAquaman:
Contact lens wearers should be aware that there may be increased risks of acanthomeba infections if you don't clean your contacts properly after swimming, diving, etc.

Ya, my eye doctor scolded me when she found out I wore my monthly lenses for diving or swimming. She gave me eye infection horror stories! I ended up getting a crate of dailies which I only wear for diving or swimming.

Hiya I use the Night & Day contacts (at least that's what they're called in Australia) - I can sleep in them for 30 nights before chucking them out, but I usually give my eyes a rest from contacts every ten days or so for 1-3 days.

Never had any issue whether swimming, surfing, flying, camping or diving. Always keep a few handy vials of refresh eyedrops to rinse the eyes out after being in water, and carry my specs and/or spare contacts just in case. They are the best thing that ever happened to me.

Good luck, enjoy, make sure you get your eyes checked frequently if you do use contacts, infection can be a bugger so I'm told!

Back
Top Bottom