Diving with limestone-based neoprene wetsuit. Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yankee in Oz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any thoughts or experience diving with limestone-based neoprene wetsuits. Very popular with surfers, but haven't seen a lot of use for scuba. I've read that limestone neoprene has a high micro-cell structure with independent closed cells (bubbles basically) within the neoprene that are packed together at an extremely high density. Oil-based neoprene has a cell penetration of 60-70%, whereas limestone neoprene has a 94% cell penetration. I'm concerned with buoyancy due to a lot more air bubbles inside the rubber (over 30% to be exact) causing it to be way less dense than oil-based neoprene. Henderson advertises suits made with Thermoprene - is this the same thing?

i've never dived one but this seems like a good article...

No experience with limestone-based neoprene, but my thoughts... The buoyancy is primarily due to the volume taken up, assuming the dry weight difference is insignificant. A limestone or oil-based neoprene would therefore have the same surface buoyancy if they're of the same thickness. The greater bubble density in the limestone-based suit suggests it may lose more buoyancy at a given depth, but it's good practice to plan on losing all the suit buoyancy anyway, when sizing your wing and any redundant buoyancy measures.

I have had a Henderson Greenprene 3 mm full suit since 2020. Compared to my previous 3 mm full suits, this wetsuit is lighter, it is very stretchy and easy to don, and it is warmer. It is also more buoyant. I used 8 lbs of weight for many years when diving a 3 mm full suit, with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I have used 10 lbs since switching to the Greeneprene suit. I was unable to hold my safety stop with 8 lbs, 9 lbs was right on the border, 10 lbs is good. I still use my usual weights when diving with my regular 5 or 7 mm full suit with or without the hooded vest. So far, no wear and tear, seems well constructed.

Thanks Inquisit and Scubadada ... excellent responses! The article / website really helped me understand the science, and Scubadada's experience confirms my suspicions. No wonder it's popular with surfers - warmer, more flexible, with less bulk. I like the idea of more warmth and stretch, but disappointed in having to use more weight. Not much on the market in the USA besides Henderson. Will most likely go with a 3mm farmer john two-piece. I know it will add even more buoyancy, but gives me options for dressing up or down, as needed. If you hear anything in the interim, lemme know. Otherwise, I'll add an extra weight or two and report back what I find.

i've never dived one but this seems like a good article...

Excellent article. Highly recommend for anyone wondering what the hype is all about.

I live on the ocean in a limestone house with magnificent thermal insulating properties, and good for wind

How does Yulex compare. Does anyone know? Scubapro now uses it in their wetsuits. They claim it's MORE compression resistant than petroleum-based neoprene (so, the opposite of Greenprene).

How does Yulex compare. Does anyone know? Scubapro now uses it in their wetsuits. They claim it's MORE compression resistant than petroleum-based neoprene (so, the opposite of Greenprene).
I got this from the SRFACE article that BoundForElsewhere posted: Yulex developed an innovative neoprene-free natural rubber called Yulex® in collaboration with Patagonia. This revolutionary plant based rubber foam has the lowest carbon footprint in modern wetsuit production. It’s double-lined which allows for strong and durable seams between panels, which keeps water out and keeps you warm. While it is more costly than limestone neoprene, the quality of this new foam has rapidly improved over the last few years and is continuing to do so. It already performs equally good, if not better in most material properties compared to the limestone neoprene we are now used to.

Back
Top Bottom