Diving with limestone-based neoprene wetsuit. Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I have read these things too. There seems to be no info on compression resistance or buoyancy characteristics, though. Haven't found any info on that. This is interesting since Scubapro explicitly claims Yulex is more compression resistant than traditional neoprene. You would say there's some evidence to back up such a claim...

Yamamoto is all limestone based as far as I know, so you'll find a pretty wide selection of freediving suits using it. I really don't understand why the scuba industry hasn't adopted all the benefits of freediving wetsuits.

Been diving yamamoto suits for 10 years, no problems with compression over standard suits, and certainly warmer. It might need a little more lead from a 5mm to 5mm stand point, but you'll use less because you can wear a 3mm instead of a 5mm!

When my wife and I go to Bonaire, I don and doff my wetsuit at least 26 times during our 2 week visit, it grows old. The Henderson Greenprene 3mm full suit is the easiest wetsuit I have ever had to get in and out of

Yamamoto is all limestone based as far as I know, so you'll find a pretty wide selection of freediving suits using it. I really don't understand why the scuba industry hasn't adopted all the benefits of freediving wetsuits.

Been diving yamamoto suits for 10 years, no problems with compression over standard suits, and certainly warmer. It might need a little more lead from a 5mm to 5mm stand point, but you'll use less because you can wear a 3mm instead of a 5mm!

I’ve been diving Yamamoto suits for years. They are unbeatable for comfort and flexibility. Most of the divers in my club use them too. I do find that they compress a fair bit though.

I’m trying a semi dry now, I’m interested to see how that looks after a year or 2 of diving by comparison. My old 5mm Yamamoto is more like 2.5mm now!

I have about 400 dives on my 7Till8 custom 5mm Yamamoto neoprene (limestone based) suit and it works great. Probably upgrade to a 7Till8 7mm later this year. Still lots of life left in the suit.

I've heard some people say that Yamamoto neoprene is open cell and it's not... at least not according to their web site.
Yamamoto Neoprene

I have had a Henderson Greenprene 3 mm full suit since 2020. Compared to my previous 3 mm full suits, this wetsuit is lighter, it is very stretchy and easy to don, and it is warmer. It is also more buoyant. I used 8 lbs of weight for many years when diving a 3 mm full suit, with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest. I have used 10 lbs since switching to the Greeneprene suit. I was unable to hold my safety stop with 8 lbs, 9 lbs was right on the border, 10 lbs is good. I still use my usual weights when diving with my regular 5 or 7 mm full suit with or without the hooded vest. So far, no wear and tear, seems well constructed.
Very interesting. I was told by a lady at Henderson that actually would need less weigh due to the material. Thanks for sharing and confirming that it really needs more lead.

I needed a couple extra lbs with a new 3mm greenprene, compared to my 3mm thermaxx, but the older suit is midway through it's life. New to New.....probably not much different in terms of buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom