Diving with Pain Meds???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
I have had 6 back surgeries with the last one 3+ years ago. It actually kept me out of a wheelchair. Diving is the great equalizer for me. Neutral bouancy is heaven on my back and makes me equal to everyone else. (kind of)

I have recently had to go back on long acting morphene treatment to address some reaccuring back pain. A realative low doseage of 30mg per day but it makes the difference in pain/painless.

My question... What is the effect if any on nitrogen absorbtion and or any other effects from diving. My pain management doc says no problem, dive away. It has no effect on my mental faculties and actually lets me concentrate on the dive, not the pain.

Has anyone got any knowledge in this area? Fortunately the treatment will be fairly short as I am changing jobs to lessen the impact on my back and will be able to discontinue its use. But... in the mean time what do you think???????

Absolutely. Chronic pain treatment rarely causes any loss of clarity of thinking or slowing of judgement or coordination. It seems as though the effects of pain relief eliminate the euphoric/side effects of narcotic treatment. It has been the subject of many studies and trials for a number of years.

My pain management doctor dives and doesn't feel it is an issue. But, he doesn't know regarding the issue of nitrogen absorption/narcosis. Hense the question here. My wife is usually my buddy and obviously she is aware. I just want more information and can't seem to find any definitive answers.

babar:
What about driving? Are you also cleared to drive?

Babar

Ya Aint supposed to dive on anything, but, I did on Oxycodone and Oxycotin for a year after breaking my back. I then went into have the entire back fused from T2-S1. I haven't been in the water because I haven't healed from the third operation.
My Past training says no but, Thats what commercial divers do. Besides it was shallow, not anything past 80' working. I had no decompression problems But that was being done for only one year....and that year I only dove 977hrs. Between 30'-80'.
I sure there will be lots and lots of posts on this one. Being Navy trained and all. Bill
(We pulled some no-no's on the teams anyway!)

I take Neurotin for my neuropathy wwith no bad side effects while diving...I do avoid deep dives

carldarl:
Absolutely. Chronic pain treatment rarely causes any loss of clarity of thinking or slowing of judgement or coordination. It seems as though the effects of pain relief eliminate the euphoric/side effects of narcotic treatment. It has been the subject of many studies and trials for a number of years.

My pain management doctor dives and doesn't feel it is an issue. But, he doesn't know regarding the issue of nitrogen absorption/narcosis. Hense the question here. My wife is usually my buddy and obviously she is aware. I just want more information and can't seem to find any definitive answers.

Carl,

Since you are cleared to operate a motor vehicle, and your physician has cleared you to dive, I do not see an issue there.

As a DMT, I know of no issues with your medication potentiating the uptake of nitrogen, however, be advised that there are AFAIK no scientific studies on this particular subject.

A possible caveat would be the addition of nitrogen narcosis to your current level of effect from the medication. It is possible that the "narcotic" effect could be increased, such that the over-all level of narcosis would be greater at shallower depths.

Just a little something to be aware of......

Cheers!

Hello carl:

Gas Loading

Pain medications will not change gas uptake and elimination since that is primarily determined at the local (= tissue) level by muscle contractions (“the muscle pump”) and carbon dioxide buildup. [I do not have any data concerning actual hyperbaric chamber tests involving pain meds, but rather this is derived from conjecture on the mechanisms of action.]

If the pain medications allow you to really increase your activity (because of the analgesia), that could result in greater gas loading.

Masking

The primary problem, as I see it, with these medications is the elimination of the early warning sign of DCS. By masking pain, one is allowing neurological problems to become the first presenting sign or symptom. This could remove some valuable “lead time” and contact with a physical or chamber. One should bear this is mind.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Readers, please note the next class in Decompression Physiology is September 10 – 11, 2005 :1book:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

Thanksw for the information. I didn't think there was a direct connection since the analgesic effect is neurologic. But, I thought it would be prudent to find out. I do agree there may be some delay in pain recognition due to masking but at the extremely low dose I am on it should be minimal.

This treatment should also be short lived. I am in the process of changing careers to a less "back" intensive job. Hopefully I will be able to eliminate it once I have changed careers.

I too took Neurontin for neropathic pain. After around nine mnths I found the memory loss too great. I truly felt as though I had alzheimers as I would literally forget a topic in the middle of a conversation. Many others I knew through a chronic pain forum experienced similar effects. I am glad it helps you. For me, it was surgery number six and fusion number three when I got lucky. I went from a wheelchair future to diving and working again. However, I also now understand just how quickly it can all change.

Father's day is coming. Told the kids I want us to all go get wet. :) Everybody have a good week...

Carl

Back
Top Bottom