Diving with Pony Bottle on or off?

Pony valve on or off? (opened or closed)

• ON

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • OFF

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would submit that there is more of a continuum of rec/tech diving practices rather that strictly either/or. Diving with a pony bottle means you have already begun to consider scenarios and practices beyond basic OW recreational diving. Even though I was introduced to the concept of carrying a redundant air supply during my SSI Deep Diving course, I found it necessary to try a couple different configurations before I found one suitable for my needs. The configuration that I settled on is the simplest one for me in terms of gear and deployment, and is the same configuration used for carrying a stage or deco bottle on more technical dives. Yes, it also means I use a streamlined one piece webbing harness with a backplate & wing. This has turned out to be the most comfortable harness and the most enjoyable one to use for all of my open water diving, warm and cold water.

As a side benefit, it was a relatively short step to move to a full tech rig for overhead and deco diving. Win-win. All the practice carrying a pony bottle rigged the same way as a deco bottle simplified the learning process. Besides, I never did find a good way to stow both the octo and the pony 2nd stage using a jacket style BC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom