Diving with seaweed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
I am originally from CA and used to do a lot of diving in the kelp. Then I moved to the Ohio Valley and found out how much I missed diving in the kelp once it was gone. Sorry I never appreciated it more when I was living there. Is CA the only place that offers such diving or do other parts of the diving world offer kelp and sea grass divesm like CA?

Thanks,

Dan T

fookisan:
I am originally from CA and used to do a lot of diving in the kelp. Then I moved to the Ohio Valley and found out how much I missed diving in the kelp once it was gone. Sorry I never appreciated it more when I was living there. Is CA the only place that offers such diving or do other parts of the diving world offer kelp and sea grass divesm like CA?

Thanks,

Dan T
You're not kidding! I learned to dive in CA also. When I got back into diving here in Washington, a guy took me diving in Puget Sound, where he excitedly pointed out a single strand of bull kelp like he had just discovered Neptune's treasure.
But there are great kelp beds here in Wa, (Salt Creek, for example) and up into BC and Alaska. And in other places in the world, which others will tell you, I'm sure.
Still, there's nothing like the CA kelp beds.

ide love to find diving like this here in NE closest ive come is on a small lake

You can find kelp forests in Australia, South America (Chile for example), South Africa. Some day I hope to dive them to film and compare them with our own here in soCal. Yes, it is strange diving in areas without such macroalgae. I found it a good intellectual challenge to try to piece together the primary production story in areas without kelp when I first started diving them.

Dr. Bill

I got certified in Santa Cruz and kelp diving was included in training. Not much is better than that. It's like flying through the forest instead of walking along a trail at the base.

Gary D. :D

Gary D.:
It's like flying through the forest instead of walking along a trail at the base.

That's exactly what I tell people when I try to explain to them why I LOVE kelp forest diving. Honestly, though, I don't think most people will have any idea how fantastic it is until they do it for themselves. All of kelp forest diving I've done has been in California, where the biodiversity in the kelp forest ecosystem is very high.

Kelp forests are one of the best things that tropical-only divers miss out on! Unless there are tropical kelp forests...anyone know about any?

Gary D.:
I got certified in Santa Cruz and kelp diving was included in training. Not much is better than that. It's like flying through the forest instead of walking along a trail at the base.

Gary D. :D
Well Said!!!

Love diving in the kelp forest! Eel grass waving in the surge.... Magical!!

fookisan:
Is CA the only place that offers such diving or do other parts of the diving world offer kelp and sea grass divesm like CA?
Although not on the same scale as large Pacific kelps, you can find tall aquatic vegetation stands in many of Florida's springs. Some of the macrophyte species can exceed several meters in height, and they're often chock full of little fishes, invertebrates, the odd turtle... occasionally a manatee.

There's similar diving to this in a few places in Texas too. Clear Springs Scuba Park, Lake Amistad, Aquarena Springs, Comal and San Marcos rivers. Lake Amistad possesses hydrilla stands so dense, it is physically impossible to penetrate them. You have to float over the tops, and drop down where it's clear. The stands I've seen are 4m tall, broaching the surface.

otter-cat:
Kelp forests are one of the best things that tropical-only divers miss out on! Unless there are tropical kelp forests...anyone know about any?

Giant kelp, the type that is usually referred to in California, (don't know how many types of kelp there are) grow in a climate with cold water, aprox. 50's to 60's degrees farenheit water. They also require nutrient rich waters, and being an algae plant - sunlight. Which usually restricts their depth to less than 100 ft. Can grow up to two feet p/day and over 100 ft in length. Amazing.

There are some small palm like plants out here on some reefs, forget the name, that are just wonderfull on a good viz day. It has sort of a exotic tropical land scenery feel, at least for me. Clumps of surf grass (real name?) are pretty neat to watch swaying back and forth in the surf, too.

I basically enjoy all underwater plants.

Scuba:
There are some small palm like plants out here on some reefs, forget the name, that are just wonderfull on a good viz day. It has sort of a exotic tropical land scenery feel, at least for me.
That would be Postelsia, a plant I have always wished to see in its native habitat. All I have are photos and some lame pressed specimens, boo!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom