Diving with sore throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree you may be O.K. but with a sore throat I find my throat is also a little dry and the dry air makes this worse. I also find that it may induce coughing and this is never a great thing. Your situation may vary and it is best to trust your body. If you feel it is definately O.K. go for it but if you ave any question at all don't do the dive without clearance from a doctor.

Bottom line, I'd suggest if you have a sore throat postpone a couple of days and actually enjoy your dive.

Don't dive when you aren't 100%. Diving with a sore throat can cause more problems. I know, I've been there. I had minor congestion once and ended up with a severe inner ear infection. When you equalize your ears, you can force the infection into your inner ear. It's just not worth it. At least that's my 2psi.

Get some Zicam throat spray, take lots of vitamin B, maybe some zinc tablets and drink lots of fluids and hopefully you will be feeling better by your dive.

chugmeister:
Get some Zicam throat spray, take lots of vitamin B, maybe some zinc tablets and drink lots of fluids and hopefully you will be feeling better by your dive.

What is B supposed to do for you? I've always heard and I believe that vitamin C is the key.

For me what I do is take large doses of C at the first sign of a cold and in the last 2.5 years I've yet to catch a cold beyond the initial sore throat stage.

I've tried the Zicam stuff, didn't help me a bit. Never did the Zinc but I've heard it works, I think that's what Zicam is based on anyhow.

My AME who's also a diver suggests taking 3000mg a day of C when you get that way, it works for me.

PS, anytime you have a cold and blow your nose you risk an infection spreading. The best thing a person can do is not blow your nose. To equalize there are other ways that if you're lucky you can do and not have to risk the spread of whatever is getting you down. It's a real good possibilty that you might end up with problems if you're really getting sick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom