Diving with the Arapaima (Newport Aquarium)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dripdrypoet

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I had a dive with the strangest fish I have ever been eyeball to eyeball with. The Arapaima is billed as the largest fresh water fish in the world, and I would never dispute that fact. I will add, however, that in appearance they are a cross between an alligator and a dinosaur. These fish can grow to be ten feet long and weigh as much as 400 pounds. On top of that, they are omnivores and are known for their awesome jumping ability. Just think, you are taking a stroll down the bank of the Amazon River when a 400 pound fish jumps out of the water and grabs you. It would be a good movie, don’t you think? Thankfully, they do not have teeth, but the divers who have been “tagged” by one equate the experience to being hit with a baseball bat. So, in addition to the usual tasks the diver is well advised to keep his/her limbs close to their body, so the Arapaima does not take them for food.

OK, down to the mysterious depths of the Newport Aquarium’s Amazon Tunnel. First up, a broadcast feed. We have bottles filled with fruits (seasoned with a little smelt). Oh, the Pacus love this! They amble through the feeding zone looking for all of the world like armored fighting vehicles while Tim and I try to toss grapes at them with just the correct lead so they can inhale them without breaking stride. Of course, the Arapaima is lurking about, gazing at us with the cold eyes of a predator and stealing what it can, while eying me as a potential source of nourishment. I, on the other hand, am eying that monster fish with more than a little anxiety, for sure.

Grapes, bananas, and kiwi consumed, it is time to feed the stingrays. They are so cute! You take a smelt and kind of stick it under their body and let them eat it out of your hand. The trick is to open your hand fully so their teeth do not snag your glove. If they do, you can’t pull away without potentially damaging the stingray, so you just have to stay there until they release themselves.

Everybody fed, we wipe off the inside of the tunnel and play with the Aquarium visitors until our air gets exhausted.

Good Day!

Ray

DavidPT40:
Fascinating stuff! Whats the feeding schedule like? I plan on visiting the Newport Aquarium within the next few weeks.

Hi David,

The Coral Reef exhibit gets fed on a daily basis, usually around 10:30 ish. This is a fun one to watch, because the diver is often almost invisible in a whirl of "pretty fishies." Jacks, Triggers (who seem to enjoy spitting at me while I am getting into their tank), a Porqupine Puffer (my favorite), a Woebegon (sp?) shark and a Port Jackson shark, oodles of Butterflyfish and Tangs, a beautiful Honeycomb Moray, and more. A good watch.

The shark tank is usually fed on Fridays, sometime after noon. This is done from the surface (go figure).

Other tanks are usually on an as needed basis. The Aquarium has 117 volunteer divers, and we try to have three or four in the water every day.

Ray

This is great info. Love the story. Thanx

Back
Top Bottom