Diving with the Bull sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc, I like the idea of the pipe/billy in the video. The use of a club (?) is supported in the usn diving manual voulme 1. What I am really impressed with though, if I am hearing it right, is somebodys inhalation rate in the video. It sounds to me like, whoever is breathing, is pretty damn calm. If it were me, you would not be able to distinguish between in and out. HA HA HA!

The potential problem and danger I see with this s that there ARE dive ops over there chumming and feeding the sharks. This could actually create a problem for those who are NOT chumming as the sharks become accustomed to and expect food from the divers. Add to the equation, that although they are in anatural (aka uncaged) environment, they are there to give birth - meaning they are MORE territorial than normal.

Bull sharks are among the most aggressive and the most unpredictable in the species.

I am not yet convinced that this is a safe dive to be offering to our divers and will reserve further comment on this activity for now.

I wouldnt do it !

Becky...along time ago when diving in Cozumel, a big shark approached the dive guide, another diver in our group, and myself. It was as close as the one in Docs' video. I thought to myself that this was it, when at the very last minute the shark veered away. When we got back on the boat I asked the guide,what was that was all about? He pointed to the other diver and said," professional courtesy, this guys a lawyer". HA HA HA!

Just got back from PDC, and did the Bull Shark thing (hope to have some pics from the trip available for posting soon). We dove with Abyss Dive Center and our dive guide told us that other dive shops are still chumming. We saw six, including one with a nasty looking hook hung in its jaw. Sharks came in pretty close, but didn't appear threatening, just curious. One of the interesting parts were the remora, one of which literally swam into our group and lay down on the sand, like a dog or cat waiting to be petted.

It was an interesting dive, but nothing liking seeing the Bulls at Bat Island off the coast of Costa Rica.

I just have a quick question. And in the words of Hooper," I just don't want to get beat up here". Everything I've read or seen states that of all the shark species, the bull is the worst. I don't want to waste anybodys time here, but, if you get in a cadge when a great whites in the water, and the bull sharks the worst, shouldn't you get in a cadge when a bulls in the water?

you go in the cadge
cadge goes in the water
you go in the water
sharks in the water, our shark

What's a "cadge"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom